FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Player ins & outs and all round squad discussion

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

I know the board already has a transfers thread but I thought we could do with one specifically for us since it looks like we are going to be rather busy this winter. 

Confirmed Outs: Stout, Easton, Ryland, Omarsdottir, Smorsgard

Confirmed Ins: 

Confirmed Staying: Harris, Zelem, Hodson

http://ladies.liverpoolfc.com/news/reds_quartet_to_depart_liverpool_ladies_football_club.html#ZgStkviRXFqFT0eB.97

http://ladies.liverpoolfc.com/news/reds_trio_harris_hodson_and_zelem_sign_new_deals_with_club.html

It sounds like it is only a matter of time before Fara goes on the list of confirmed outs. But if Staniforth is staying she has a few of Fara's traits to her own game, so there is a part replacement already here. We will just have to make sure our other midfield signings cover the other traits. It's not like we would find a like-for-like replacement anyway.

Fara is a big loss and no doubt her exit will overshadow losing Katrin, who was just as important to our midfield. Even when Fara was there but Katrin wasn't we never looked the same team. Replacing one is hard enough, replacing the pair of them is a whole other job. That will be what determines if the rebuild is successful. Get it wrong and it won't matter who we sign in other areas.

Katrin wasn't we never looked the same team

I couldn't agree more. I was really gutted to see her leave, more so than Fara honestly because with Katrin we had a stable DM that would be an enforcer for what will be indubitably a young team. My hope now is that enough decent, experienced players will be brought in to add to our fantastic core of young players to at least keep us above relegation next season. Time will tell but if we survive next season I think we can just keep building from there.

I'm very happy to see both Harris and White are staying. I thought for sure that Harris' connections and just the fact she is known quantity would mean she got lured away to somewhere else in the league. And we need as many senior internationals about the squad as possible so White sticking around is very welcome in that respect. It also means one less forward to replace in a window when we will probably have to replace a few.

Guest wrote:And we need as many senior internationals about the squad as possible so White sticking around is very welcome in that respect. It also means one less forward to replace in a window when we will probably have to replace a few.
I'm never sure what White's position actually is since our injuries during her time with us have meant we've used her here, there and everywhere. If Dowie leaves as I am expecting then presumably we are left with Hodson and Oshoala(?) either side of White through the middle. There is Longhurst(?) too of course, but at this moment in time we would have to be using her to fill gaps in the midfield again.

If Dowie leaves

I don't know if Dowie will leave. The article in the Echo today she was the only other player out of the signing trio that they mentioned and besides tweeting about Fara for England, the club has been careful at not mentioning other players except these three and now White all of whom are staying. But I might be reading into this too much. Damn WSL, wish they would just let the clubs say which players have already left for another WSL club. This waiting is asinine.

I'm not too worried about the forward positions as I'm about the midfield and defence. A far few non-inspiring draws could see us staying up instead of all loses in which we score but than let in a bunch goals and are relegated. I do hope that with White and Harris re-signing and hopefully Oshoala still under contract and staying along with Dowie might tempt other players in and not see Liverpool as a completely lost cause.

Guest wrote:I couldn't agree more. I was really gutted to see her leave, more so than Fara honestly because with Katrin we had a stable DM that would be an enforcer for what will be indubitably a young team.
We don't even have Easton anymore to do the defensive midfield shift either. First choice, second choice, third choice, all gone in one window. So we don't just need one DM, we need to sign depth there as well. And I'm not sure how much depth we can afford to bring in. We never had enough of that to begin with even before this round of exits happened.

Guest wrote:I'm not too worried about the forward positions as I'm about the midfield and defence. A far few non-inspiring draws could see us staying up instead of all loses in which we score but than let in a bunch goals and are relegated.

Dowie didn't score many last season (I know that's not necessarily her fault and nobody else did either but still) so if she does go it isn't like we would have to replace her and goals. We would have felt it more if we were replacing her after the 2013 season for example. If we were to bring somebody else in we might well better the stats just because the target isn't all that high.

And while I do agree that not conceding will be vital to getting something out of games, nobody can look at Bristol and say they wouldn't have been a hell of a lot worse off without Jade's goals and that had she been there from the start of the season they may not have found themselves relegated. So forwards needn't be our top priority over say the midfield or defence, but we do still need to make sure we have enough players capable of scoring when the chances come along.

This is great news. I honestly thought she would be on the exit list.

Hallelujah.  What great news on Friday. I wonder if her injury put a damper on her other prospects.  In any case, that's are back four more or less the same.  Now we just need to sign Earps, she's a fantastic goalie and a Liverpool supporter to boot.  This does make me wish Fara was staying.  Le sigh.

Guest wrote:I wonder if her injury put a damper on her other prospects.
It's certainly possible. But she is one player who I have always gotten the impression has a proper affinity with the club since she is a red herself, and so if it came to her ever leaving it would be because she felt she had to for career prospects not necessarily because she wanted to. 

Which makes me wonder if she, and all of the others who have agreed to stay, been shown something to make them realise their career prospects are actually fine here? Maybe the situation has changed and it's no longer as bleak as we were left thinking for the last couple of months. But it was just too late to change the minds of some. Or maybe I'm just getting swept away by news being positive for once.

There are quotes from Bonner in the Echo saying she is confident that the signings we make will have us competing for trophies again. Whether she was talking about that happening next year or in a future year isn't clear though. Nor is the possibility that she was talking in specifics and knows who the incomings will be. 

Either way, her staying along with the likes of Harris and White is at the very least a sign that the mass exodus we thought was coming won't be as 'mass' as it could have been. What usually happens when half the squad is out of contract is that anybody who doesn't truly want to go sits with their pen hovering over a new deal looking out the corners of their eyes at each other waiting for somebody to go first. And it sounds like we've now had our 'if you do I will' moment. And it has happened early enough in the winter for us to really crack on now.

I'm so chuffed that Longhurst resigned, I thought for sure she was on her way out. I love her attitude and fight.

Guest wrote:I'm so chuffed that Longhurst resigned, I thought for sure she was on her way out. I love her attitude and fight.
x2. She was my highlight of an otherwise crap season. And she got nowhere near the amount of credit she deserved. We would have been a hell of a lot worse off if she hadn't been plugging any and every gap which came along and going about it like each position was her natural one. It was a real shame that injury ended her year early. But she impressed me from start to finish anyway.

Let's have an update...

Confirmed Outs: Stout, Easton, Ryland, Omarsdottir, Smorsgard

Confirmed Ins: -

Confirmed Staying: Harris, Zelem, Hodson, White, Bonner, Longhurst, Gibbons
___

Murray, Oshoala, Schroder, Staniforth, Williams, Dowie

Murray and Oshoala are still under contract? Schroder and Staniforth I have no idea about. Williams gone. Dowie?

Ingle is signing number one http://ladies.liverpoolfc.com/news/welsh_international_captain_ingle_joins_liverpool_ladies.html

If we have moved onto announcing incomings is that maybe a sign that the outgoings are finished?

Somebody tweeted the other day that there were quotes from Mick Mulhern in most recent edition of The League Paper which linked Staniforth to Sunderland. But I never saw it myself so can't say exactly what he said.

The squad page on the official website has been updated to remove the departed. It now lists:

Gibbons, Schroder, Bonner, Murray, Harris, Williams, Dale, Zelem, Staniforth, Hodson, Oshoala, Dowie, Longhurst 

Plus White and presumably Pacheco who I don't think were ever on there. Ingle and Chamberlain to be added as well. 

17 players in all. If nobody else leaves we will only be three signings away from what we had last season.

Well, Fara leaving sucks not that I think anyone was surprised. I hope we get some quality signings in but by and large I'm not unhappy with the players we have left. If Rogers has a plan and gets the girls to work together we have a lot of potential on our squad. Wonder what's up with Stainforth?

I hope Staniforth stays because her game is not too dissimilar to Fara's in some ways and we now need it. But I haven't heard anything about what is going on with her other than this Sunderland link mentioned up thread. So if the only clue says she is leaving do you have to assume she is leaving? I might just do that anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum