FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Transfer Rumours & Discussion

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 18]

176Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Janssen and Losada would be the most likely to depart you'd think, just because the thought of Nobbs being anywhere else is hard to imagine and van de Donk and Williams obviously only just got there. Janssen was used in defence though so she could always stay if a defender were to leave as apposed to it being a midfielder. 

But should they all stay it's going to take a while to figure out what Losa's plan of attack is. I wonder if he has a pecking order already pencilled down? It could take even longer if he hasn't.

177Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:16 pm

One day in the future that midfield depth which Arsenal have will be required. Today is not that day though. We may have an extra club in WSL1 bringing with them an extra two league games for each team but at the same time we have also lost the Continental Cup group stage which provided five fixtures. So we are -2 guaranteed games, which means the addition of that 9th club is not felt at all. It will be 2017 before we get back to the same number of guaranteed games we had last season. And it will take another expansion (something which so far doesn't have a slated time frame) before Arsenal's depth is needed. They're years ahead of schedule.

178Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:46 pm

I really can't see how Arsenal don't have to offload midfielders now. Their squad is unworkable. They are stacked more than Chelsea are with forwards.

It's ridiculous, Losa is morphing into Wegner.

The problem is only properly solved when one of those five players leave, not the youngsters.

This is so true, you don't over populate any position with top players because than your youth can't get any minutes and they are the future of the club.  I don't understand Fara's move to Arsenal at all and tbh I've lost a little respect for her in regards to this move.

Janssen was used in defence though so she could always stay if a defender were to leave as apposed to it being a midfielder.

Why play her out of position? Why not just bring a player who naturally plays there?

As for Asllani, I read an article yesterday which I now can't find again because it was foreign, but it said she hadn't made her mind up yet and was in no rush to. She isn't going home to Sweden though and is expected to say in Europe.

Wonder if we will see her turn up at City?

179Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:55 pm

Guest wrote:This is so true, you don't over populate any position with top players because than your youth can't get any minutes and they are the future of the club. 
I think not being able to even field your senior players is the bigger concern because it is the immediate one. Underdeveloped youth is for another day. Youngsters not getting minutes because your squad is saturated in their position is an issue of course but it is a far less potentially volatile one. The younger somebody is the more accepting they tend to be of a bit part role and especially if they are yet to truly establish themselves anyway. 

Losa has gone and made the whole thing twice as difficult to handle by also having too many senior players to be able to field his senior players. You don't actually need to know any of Janssen, Nobbs, Losada, van de Donk and Williams to know they won't settle for less than they believe they are worth and rightly so.

180Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Losa has gone and made the whole thing twice as difficult to handle by also having too many senior players to be able to field his senior players. You don't actually need to know any of Janssen, Nobbs, Losada, van de Donk and Williams to know they won't settle for less than they believe they are worth and rightly so.

We haven't even mentioned Smith and her desire to keep playing so that's another player who will demand playing time. He's already lost Ubogagu because he wasn't playing her consistently and was "rotating" her even though ever time she was on the pitch she looked so dangerous. I wonder if we will see a hugely underachieving side like we saw from City two years ago from friction in the squad. Losa has some massive personalities and egos (even more so if he signs a quality forward like he should) like you've stated in his dressing room, it'll be interesting how he handles it all next season. The result against Bayern Munich next month might be telling of how they are getting on.

181Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Guest wrote:Wonder if we will see her turn up at City?
I don't think anybody who is in a position to get her actually needs her. But we have pages in this thread discussing why teams at the top are signing what they don't need so what does that matter. I would say City have the kind of resources package which would attract her most but if I was her I would be looking at Cushing in comparison to Hayes and Losa and wondering if I'm brave enough. Her reasons for leaving PSG make anywhere in England a gamble, but the better established clubs of Arsenal and Chelsea will look a little safer than City.

182Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Guest wrote:We haven't even mentioned Smith and her desire to keep playing so that's another player who will demand playing time. He's already lost Ubogagu because he wasn't playing her consistently and was "rotating" her even though ever time she was on the pitch she looked so dangerous.
The forwards are another side of it, yes. It would technically be possible to field all of his senior midfielders at the same time - but only at the expense of a forward. Carter played more than any of them but she can't afford to lose minutes when she struggles to catch Sampson's eye as it is. Both Corredera and Natalia are in the same position as his midfielders, they won't accept the bench either. So where Chelsea have been able to accommodate Carney in their attack by squeezing Coombs out of their midfield, Arsenal can't accommodate their midfielders by squeezing out players from their attack.

183Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:35 pm

The problem would be lessened slightly if you took Yankey and Smith completely out of the equation. Yankey was predominantly a sub last season and that's all Smith would be, but between them they still had 18 appearances, 12 of which used up substitutions. That's a fair amount of potential pitch time which would be much better spent giving all those central midfielders a go to try and keep them happy. But obviously there isn't anybody at Arsenal who is brave enough to tell Yankey and Smith that it's time to call it a day for the good of the team.

184Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

I would say City have the kind of resources package which would attract her most but if I was her I would be looking at Cushing in comparison to Hayes and Losa and wondering if I'm brave enough.

What's wrong with Cushing? His first year was a bit shaky but he got City into a CL spot and if it wasn't for the muddle about an ineligible player by the FA that made the semi final of the Conti Cup a hurried affair and Duggan and iirc Bronze out injured, City could have been in the Conti Cup final. The are a quality team. I don't know if City needs anymore forwards though they would be better off strengthen the midfield.

185Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:51 pm

But obviously there isn't anybody at Arsenal who is brave enough to tell Yankey and Smith that it's time to call it a day for the good of the team.

For real, I think you can look at the Arsenal and see 2 distinct squads: the Losa squad and the Vic Akers squad. I think Fara is an Akers signing

186Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Guest wrote:The problem would be lessened slightly if you took Yankey and Smith completely out of the equation. Yankey was predominantly a sub last season and that's all Smith would be, but between them they still had 18 appearances, 12 of which used up substitutions. That's a fair amount of potential pitch time which would be much better spent giving all those central midfielders a go to try and keep them happy. But obviously there isn't anybody at Arsenal who is brave enough to tell Yankey and Smith that it's time to call it a day for the good of the team.
It works but it depends on them not making any further additions to the their squad. And I can't help but think that if they are happy to overload themselves in the midfield they might yet still bring in more forwards too. Which I do think they actually have a need for in comparison to their midfield needing bolstering. So any minutes taken away from Yankey and Smith would go to a newly signed forward rather than a newly signed midfielder, therefore leaving the midfield situation totally unresolved.

187Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:58 pm

If Arsenal bring in more forwards and no midfielders or forwards leave then somebody there has lost the plot.

188Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Arsenal have signed Katie McCabe as well, remember. So even if Yankey and Smith did stop playing their minutes have already gone to McCabe.

Whichever way you cut it they have too many starting quality players in the middle and up top. If everybody stays fit they are quickly going to realise there is such a thing as too much depth.

189Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:12 am

Guest wrote:If Arsenal bring in more forwards and no midfielders or forwards leave then somebody there has lost the plot.
I can think of a few possible explanations for an ever growing squad. Things like seeing last year's injuries and wanting to make sure it can't be repeated but going completely overboard in the process because they're that paranoid. Or them bumping up their budget for this season so much it has left them with a surplus which is now just being spent for the sake of spending. Who sanctions the transfers at Arsenal? Maybe that person isn't doing their job with an 'is it actually needed' attitude either because they just wouldn't know or have no reason to take the view that it isn't. The truth likely lies somewhere in amongst all of that.

I do think more signings will arrive though. So it's all about whether or not they ship out some players. And as already posted a couple of time, shipping out their kids won't solve anything. They need to cut a few seniors.

190Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:38 am

Guest wrote:Arsenal have signed Katie McCabe as well, remember. So even if Yankey and Smith did stop playing their minutes have already gone to McCabe.
And if they sign another forward those minutes would be taken from McCabe before she even gets chance to play them and be given to the new forward.

191Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:14 am

Guest wrote:Has there been any talk of Greenwood going to Chelsea
Not Chelsea, no. The club she is being linked to is Arsenal, albeit only on the grapevine.

192Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:40 am

Guest wrote:The forwards are another side of it, yes. It would technically be possible to field all of his senior midfielders at the same time - but only at the expense of a forward. Carter played more than any of them but she can't afford to lose minutes when she struggles to catch Sampson's eye as it is. Both Corredera and Natalia are in the same position as his midfielders, they won't accept the bench either.
Losa inherited Carter, he signed Natalia and Corredera. Which according to the unwritten rules of football makes Carter the most likely to depart if anybody did. And is made more likely still due to the fact her international security is the worst of the three, meaning she is the one most in need of regular game time.

193Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Guest wrote:Women's Football @WoSoWorld
Btw, a has told me that Liverpool Ladies will sign a dutchie. #OfficialinJanuary

Adam Montague ‏@u_switch
@WoSoWorld for the left hand side I take it. with plenty of passes to be made
@WoSoWorld have now said it's Mandy van den Berg. LCB and captain of the Dutch NT. https://twitter.com/WoSoWorld/status/684689522542690304

I can't decide if I think the ‏@u_switch tweet is referring to somebody else though. In the van den Berg update tweet Caroline Weir is mentioned as another arrival.

194Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:36 pm

@WoSoWorld have now said it's Mandy van den Berg. LCB and captain of the Dutch NT
That would be a good signing, I think Schroeder is staying but she's had so many injuries it's not wise to rely on her plus I think she's played DM before for Liverpool so she's more versatile.

In the van den Berg update tweet Caroline Weir is mentioned as another arrival.
Team Elite UK ‏@TeamElite_UK  17 Dec 2015
Team Elite UK Retweeted Gemma Bonner
Another player on the way too Gemma from Team Elite. @LFCladies going to be strong with @ScottRogers86 as boss man!!

They heavily hinted that it's Caroline Weir as well back in December.

195Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 pm

I had missed that Team Elite tweet. van den Berg and Weir on top of their existing CBs and central midfielders would give them a decent amount of options and I think would put them one up in terms of numbers, dependent on what Staniforth is doing. If she leaves then they are at worst on a par with last season squad wise. So all things considered, I think they're riding out of this recent round of exits very well. They just need to find that Dowie replacement.

197Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:01 pm

It's a decent squad for a rebuilding year with a lot of young talented players that will hopefully want to stay at Liverpool. Beard's squad was built for instance success and he brought in players who were there probably more for the money than building their future playing career around Liverpool (although he did a great job at establishing the Academy that Liverpool is starting to see the fruits of) but I think this Rogers' squad is built more for the long term and he might even be able to get a tune out of them this season if he can get them to gel quickly. I don't see them finishing on the bottom unless they have a lot of injuries like they did last year, mid-table perhaps

198Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:05 pm

[quote]Asllani isn't ruling out the WSL.[quote}

Going to City with them releasing Parris?

199Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Guest wrote:Going to City with them releasing Parris?
I think Jane Ross arriving pushed Parris out. Asllani would just be a straight addition.

200Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 8 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Guest wrote:It's a decent squad for a rebuilding year with a lot of young talented players that will hopefully want to stay at Liverpool. Beard's squad was built for instance success and he brought in players who were there probably more for the money than building their future playing career around Liverpool (although he did a great job at establishing the Academy that Liverpool is starting to see the fruits of) but I think this Rogers' squad is built more for the long term and he might even be able to get a tune out of them this season if he can get them to gel quickly. I don't see them finishing on the bottom unless they have a lot of injuries like they did last year, mid-table perhaps
Their squad last season was much better than a 7th place finish and that would never have happened if everybody hadn't been made of glass. They have retained enough of that squad and so far have replaced who they have lost with good alternatives. So as long as they can replace the rest in the same way they shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum