FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

1012015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:54 pm

I can't call any of these games. Liverpool-Arsenal is injuries vs injuries meaning it will likely come down to who has the players for it not necessarily who wants it more as suggested in the post above. Bristol-Birmingham could really go either way as it is practically knockout football for the pair of them now. Chelsea-Notts sounds straight forward but the latter gave City a game. And City-Sunderland stands out as good form vs bad form so City really should be favourites, but they let that 2-0 lead slip in the last round so they clearly aren't bulletproof.

1022015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: WSL General Match Discussion Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Who, besides Alex and Kelly, aren't even on the bench because of injury?  Nobbs is coming back and has been a sub several times and I thought that Losada was starting to play again as well.  I think Liverpool win on the number of serious long term injuries this season as well as players coming off injury and trying to gain fitness and form.

On who will win that game I think it depends on which team doesn't make the mistakes to lose it because neither have been brilliant enough lately to go out and win games on their own form.

In the other matches, I tip Birmingham for a win against Bristol, a draw at Notts v Chelsea and a win for Sunderland against Man City.

kemlyn

Admin

Man City XI: Bardsley, McManus, Houghton (c), Beattie, Stokes, Walsh, Scott, Christiansen, Harding, Johnston, Stanway
subs: Brooks, Brougham, Lipman, Radtke, Bronze, Flint

Sunderland XI: Laws, Holmes, Bannon (c), Williams, Greenwell, Furness, McDougal, Chaplen, Ramshaw, Joice, Mead
subs:Olsen, Beer, Roche, McFadden, Kelly

Last edited by kemlyn on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

1042015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:13 pm

I think City will win this and maybe even quite comfortably as well. Sunderland haven't won a game since July and they have only managed two points in all competitions in their last five games. That's pretty staggering considering their table position.

1052015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:58 pm

You can't even blame Sunderland's form falling off a cliff on the summer break ruining their momentum (like what happened with Birmingham last season) because they were still doing great even we returned. Things just went very south once August started, for whatever reason.

I think a lot will depend on what team Man City puts on the field and if it is a full strength team, how well they play.  I think last Sunday's game had a toll in the fitness of the team.  So they could have a long evening ahead of them.

On Sunderland's form, I don't think they cared about the league cup and that's why they had loses in the month of August.  They actually haven't lost a league game during August I don't call that losing form.

1072015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:26 pm

No Duggan, Parris or Corboz for City. Bronze only fit enough for the bench. Sunderland's job will be easier for that.

1082015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:44 pm

You've got to laugh at everybody bigging up City's squad depth. If they actually had depth which they trusted then those young players would have been on the pitch in that irrelevant Conti Cup game and Duggan wouldn't be sat in the stands right now with her boot on.

Man City really shot themselves in the foot when they didn't rotate their squad last week and for such a pointless game. I think today's match is Sunderland's to lose and either Lucy isn't fit at all or they are resting her hoping to start her on Thursday against Liverpool for a win and draw today because their attacking options are bare bones. I mean this is Harding's first game in how many weeks, and Johnston isn't bad but that's mainly because the opponents defenders are tracking Duggan, Parris and Bronze that she can go undetected sometimes.

1102015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:35 pm

1-0 City, Christiansen header. Far too easy.

1112015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:46 pm

If Sunderland had two Mead's they would be a few goals up here. They can get the ball where it needs to be but they need a bit of quality to finish off the move and if it doesn't fall to Mead to do it then it doesn't happen.

1122015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Guest wrote:If Sunderland had two Mead's they would be a few goals up here. They can get the ball where it needs to be but they need a bit of quality to finish off the move and if it doesn't fall to Mead to do it then it doesn't happen.
This. She can't create the chance and finish it as well. It's not that she needs more support, she just needs an equal who is on her wavelength.

1132015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:59 pm

I was surprised that Sunderland wasn't able to get a point from Man City but it's still setting up for a potential interesting final day. I can't see Liverpool going with a strong side on Thursday against Man City with a cup tie only three days later and their slim chance of finishing second gone. That means that with at least a point if not all three Man City is going into the last two games imo more comfortably having to play Bristol and Notts. Arsenal still has to play Sunderland away, and Sunderland has a good home record and Birmingham and they are slowly gaining form as Carney gains form and could be a struggle for them. Chelsea has to play Liverpool which they should win (again Liverpool putting their ragged squad efforts into cup and CL ties) but then Sunderland on the last day which if they haven't clinched the title yet that game could easily go either way, especially if nerves start creeping in and Sunderland having nothing to lose.

That said i still think it will end Chelsea, Man City, Sunderland, Arsenal, Liverpool, Notts, Birmingham, Bristol

1142015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:10 am

kemlyn

Admin

2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Tumblr_nuaryubWxM1r859igo1_500

1152015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Guest wrote:I was surprised that Sunderland wasn't able to get a point from Man City
On paper Sunderland had a very good chance against that weakened City side, but in practice they were never really in the game. They have looked distinctly average of late. I find them to be quite a strange team. I think they are the perfect example of a promotion winner who goes up and gets off to a flyer through mentality and momentum alone but who then falls away once everything settles and the quality gap becomes apparent. It happens all the time in the premier league, it's just that the WSL isn't long enough to see both the rise and the fall in the same way. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up finishing with the 20pts they currently have.

1162015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:04 am

kemlyn

Admin

26 Sept
Sunderland 1 - 3 Arsenal

27 Sept
Man City vs Bristol
Notts County vs Birmingham
Liverpool vs Chelsea

1172015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:22 am

Sunderland's loss yesterday puts them out of contention for top 2 but they can still be very proud of a looking likely 4th place finish. If Bristol lose they are relegated. If City lose and Chelsea win the latter are champions, but I can't see City losing against Bristol unless something miraculous is about to happen. All-in-all the table is set up to see this year's conclusion mirror last year's three-horse final day race. But it can't possibly end in the same way, can it? I don't think Chelsea will blow it again.

1182015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:44 pm

It should be a pretty straightforward win for City. Under different circumstances Liverpool would give Chelsea a real game but they are just so depleted right now it's hard to see the points not going Chelsea's way. Hopefully they will at least have to work for them since it is on TV and all. I hate nothing more than a bad advertisement. Notts and Birmingham could go either way and Birmingham will have the added benefit (or hindrance?) of knowing whether Bristol are relegated before they themselves have to play.

1192015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:18 pm

City in the lead after 10 minutes. Could be long afternoon for Bristol.

1202015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:51 pm

3-0 to City at half time. Either Bristol repeat their 4-3 comeback against Doncaster from a couple of years ago or the only thing saving them from the drop is the FA's promotion requirements. Such a quick fall from grace.

1212015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:51 pm

City 6-1 Bristol FT

I don't think there was any danger of this race not going to final day tbh. City were never going to lose.

1222015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:09 pm

This might be the last time we ever have a title decided on the final day. It only happens because so few games a season stops big gaps from developing. Two extra fixtures next year and another two the year after will eventually give more scope for teams to break away.

1232015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:37 pm

I don't think Chelsea will blow it again.

I agree, even though I would love my Liverpool to win, with our overly-stretched squad, I just don't see it happening. I think even with a draw today (hey, I'm a Red) that Chelsea will still win but it will definitely be another exciting end but not dramatic upset like last year.

1242015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:38 pm

This might be the last time we ever have a title decided on the final day. It only happens because so few games a season stops big gaps from developing. Two extra fixtures next year and another two the year after will eventually give more scope for teams to break away.

I don't know about that, while there most likely will be more gaps between the bad, good and better teams, I think that there will still be three or four clubs battling it out for that top spot. Also next season, each week one club will have to have a bye week which could help possibly help clubs with fatigue and recovery.

1252015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 5 Empty Re: Liverpool v Chelsea Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Why the hell was Kirby basically left unmarked in the box? Seriously, Liverpool get together.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum