FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Friendly - Germany vs England 26 Nov 15

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

The official teamsheet from the WC game against them had the formation down as having been this: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/66/08/13/eng_51_0704_ger-eng_tacticalstartlist_neutral.pdf

So basically the same 'back five but with high fullbacks when in possession' thing we have seen a few times since. Biggest difference straight off is that Potter isn't about this time to fill a CB spot. If he goes with this again he might just put Flaherty in her place. Then Nobbs in for Chapman maybe. The rest of the defence and midfield could stay the same if he wanted it to. And no Carney opens up a spot up top for somebody.

Then Nobbs in for Chapman maybe.

Germany will eat Nobbs alive in the position, she's way to slight, I think it will be Scott maybe Williams. I can't see us getting out of your own half for any amount of time and if our past finishing is anything to go by the one or two chances we get will amount to nothing.

Guest wrote:Germany will eat Nobbs alive in the position, she's way to slight, I think it will be Scott maybe Williams. 
He will have to rejig the midfield roles themselves but in terms of personnel it's either Nobbs for Chapman or Christiansen for Chapman. That's all we have to chose from since he only selected four midfielders. He has enough defenders to move either Bassett or Houghton into the midfield for a game, where both have played plenty before, but I don't expect him to.

29Friendly - Germany vs England 26 Nov 15 - Page 2 Empty Re: Friendly - Germany vs England 26 Nov 15 Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Ahh, you were talking of personnel only. I thought you were trying to make Nobbs a DM. If he goes with a similar set up, I see him positionally having Flaherty/Rose replacing Potter, Christiansen replacing Scott, Scott replacing Chapman, Nobbs replacing Carney and Taylor replacing White.

I don't remember that game's set up actually looking like that. The FIFA diagram makes Bronze and Greenwood appear more like wingers than actual wing backs. I think that he'll go even more defensive with a back three of Houghton, Bassett, Flaherty/Rose and Bronze and Greenwood more in a full back position than wing back. Who out of possession will be a back five. A midfield diamond with Williams at the defensive tip, Christiansen and Scott out wide and Nobbs at the offensive tip and when out of possession Nobbs slotting besides Williams to make a flat four. Then the poor striker (Aluko/Taylor/White) who will be in no man's land waiting for the counter attack running around like a headless chicken. Complete park the bus mode.

So I just watched the FATV video of the short clip of the girls training today. Williams didn't look that fit, so I'd be surprised if Sampson starts her and I wonder if she'll even getting any playing time at all during this go around. I'm revising my starting line-up, still going with the 5-4-1 diamond midfield but have Scott at the defensive tip and Davison out wide instead of Scott and everything else the same. I can also see Sampson going with a 5-2-2-1 with the back five the same and Nobbs and Scott as CM, Duggan, Davison and Aluko as an inverted v up top with potential of exchanging roles if need be. Out of possession they still could retreat to a 5-4-1 and bunker down if need be and wait for a counter.

As a true England fan as the game draws nearer the more optimistic I becoming. I feel that if played right they potentially could nick something out of this. Come on England.

Since we haven't yet heard of there being injuries to Chapman and Potter are we to assume they are fine and he just hasn't wanted them? Either way I don't think this squad has enough of a midfield in it to counter Germany's no matter how he sets up the team. I expect to see us struggle to keep possession, and maybe even struggle to win it in the first place. Which will just lead to lots of hoofing to nobody in particular. We have seen all that before even when we have had a stronger midfield so there is no reason to think a cobbled together one will fare any better.

England: Bardsley, Bronze, Greenwood, Williams, Houghton (C), Flaherty, Kirby, Nobbs, Taylor, Scott, Stokes

Germany: Benkarth - Maier, Krahn (C), Peter, Rauch - Blässe, Goeßling, Behringer, Laudehr - Magull, Mittag

I don't know what to make of that. Partly because no Bassett has thrown me off, but mostly because I can never decipher a formation from the unhelpful tweets we put out.

I think it is still pretty much what we were expecting formation-wise. Bassett being absent has mixed up the personnel in the defence however. The midfield looks as I thought it would though we will have to wait to see who has which job within it. Kirby and Taylor is probably meant to be a front two but if we have no possession one will end up being pulled into the midfield.

I really don't see how Fara is anywhere near ready to be starting this game. If it is a case of there being nobody else then it is dreadful management. And Taylor as well. What is going on there?

Guest wrote:And Taylor as well. What is going on there?
If she really does have a knee injury which is a big enough problem to need rehabbing instead of her playing W-League then it must have been decided that the rehab isn't starting until this week's England games are out of the way. But that still leaves the question of why everybody involved wouldn't have just said this week's games aren't worth risking aggravating said injury further and she might as well just end her year already. What happens if she does indeed make it worse?

I don't know what to make of that. Partly because no Bassett has thrown me off, but mostly because I can never decipher a formation from the unhelpful tweets we put out.

It bothers me when the tweets from England don't at least show who is in back, mid and front. You don't see that in the men's game and it's disappointing that it's creeping into the women's game. It looks like a 4-3-3 to me and it looks like he's playing Stokes as a winger, which is good she was much better in the position in China.

I really don't see how Fara is anywhere near ready to be starting this game.

I hope she doesn't get hurt. She played too much while carrying a knock in Canada, which in tournament football is understandable. She needs a good rest, she should have never gone straight back into the Liverpool side and it's madness that she's playing this game today. At her age and selfishly wanting her around for the Euros in 2017 she needs a proper rest and hurrying her back from recovery for a pointless friendly is beyond stupid.

The girls are doing well. Bradley, Nobbs, Scoot and Stokes (besides her finishing) had an excellent half. If we can keep it up we can at least get a draw out of this. Fara is definitely not fit about half of her touches have been good and other half just dreadful. She needs to be subbed at the start of the second half: Houghton, Scott, Nobbs, and Greenwood have all come in to rescue her. I'd also bring in Davison for Kirby.

Pleasantly surprised by Sampson side.

I'll eat crow, Sampson and this team made a good account of themselves today. They were definitely playing for each other through out and their fitness was surprisingly good even till the end with the amount of pressing they were doing. Bardsley imo was the player of the match but everyone put "in a big shift." It looks like Bronze picked up a knock and Scott has re-injured her wrist hope neither are serious injuries. They need to work on their finishing and more fluid attack but they made us proud today. I think we were missing the influence Carney on the pitch and a full fit Willaims, especially when the Germans silenced Nobbs in the second half.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of team he puts out on Sunday because each one of them spent a lot of energy today and that's only a two day turn around time.

I think that was what you call a 'professional' performance. It wasn't inspiring in any way but at least we didn't lose. And given the circumstances of the match, what just happened was probably all we were good for anyway. I mean, players were blowing after 25 minutes so what can do when you're just not fit enough to play to your best. Germany didn't get out of second gear either, mind. Pretty odd fixture in all honestly. I know Sampson will claim it was important but the context removes a lot of that importance leaving it feeling like a nothing post-season kick about.

Guest wrote:They need to work on their finishing and more fluid attack
I think that has been apparent for a while now. Some will excuse tonight's efforts by saying we were hampered by many having not played for over a month but even during games which have fallen mid-season we haven't quite looked the finished article up top. We could do with the front line becoming as stable as the back line is for a bit, just to see if continuity can help improve our play in the final third. The defence was a bit of shambles until the personnel got drilled in. Maybe that is what is needed at the other end too.

Germany didn't get out of second gear either, mind.

I think you are being a bit harsh, Germany was definitely playing for the win in front of their home crowd and our girls didn't give them much to cheer about. Our pressing was disrupting their flow and that's why for the most part they looked so disjointed throughout the game. I think that our passing was better than most of our games against the top five nations and we weren't pinned in our own half like at Wembley. I appreciate that this was for the most part a young German team but give credit to our girls they went to Germany and put in a solid performance and drew with the number two nation in the world.

We could do with the front line becoming as stable as the back line is for a bit, just to see if continuity can help improve our play in the final third. The defence was a bit of shambles until the personnel got drilled in. Maybe that is what is needed at the other end too.

I agree with you but the front line is always the hardest to keep stable especially if they aren't performing well and the limited amount of time the girls get to train and play competitive games. The centre back pairing today was a fairly new partnership and I was actually surprised at how well Houghton and Flaherty played together. Great added depth there. Does anyone know if the girls played a boys team while at SGP, they seemed to sharp for the majority of them not having had some sort of challenging match in the last month?

44Friendly - Germany vs England 26 Nov 15 - Page 2 Empty Re: Friendly - Germany vs England 26 Nov 15 Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 pm

I find it pretty easy now to look at the defence and midfield and know his first choices. But when I look at the forwards I haven't really got a clue. 

He has used Kirby, Taylor, Duggan, Clarke, Aluko, Davison, Sanderson, Carter and White in the last four games alone. That seems like an awful lot to me, even when you do acknowledge that we needed to rotate while in China. Mead knocking on the door makes it 10 possible forwards. Carney will return at some point to make it 11. Meanwhile in the midfield, we are calling up the bare minimum number. He needs to trim the forwards down and concentrate on getting a smaller group to click. And that will indirectly swing the balance back to equal at the same time. The problem around the corner is not insufficient forwards, it's nobody to take over in the midfield once retirements wipe out our experience. That is the third where he should have 11 possibles to look at.

He has used Kirby, Taylor, Duggan, Clarke, Aluko, Davison, Sanderson, Carter and White in the last four games alone.

Part of me wonders if he picks so many forwards because he's worried about hurting their egos and their paper thin confidence. I for one don't have much faith in our forwards, the only one to consistently score for us in big games (which I don't consider qualifiers) is Carney and for the World Cup Sampson called her up as a midfielder. Our forwards had several good opportunities to score in Canada and didn't. For this game it's a little harder to lay blame at their feet but I think in this department welack players with a bit of creativity and/or tenacity that makes a forward great. We might have a bunch of forwards but I don't know about the quality in strength and depth yet at the international level.

The problem around the corner is not insufficient forwards, it's nobody to take over in the midfield once retirements wipe out our experience. That is the third where he should have 11 possibles to look at.

I couldn't agree more, I was disappointed that he dropped both Coombs and Spence for this go around. Hopefully for the Cyprus squad he will call up some of our young midfielders to gain experience, better now than out of complete necessity a few years down the line.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum