FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fara Williams tips Nikita Parris & Beth Mead for England

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

England's most capped player Fara Williams has tipped strikers Beth Mead and Nikita Parris to earn their senior debuts in next month's European Championship qualifying opener.

Sunderland's Mead, 20, is Women's Super League One's top scorer with 11 goals, while Manchester City's Parris, 21, has netted five times in all competitions.

Mark Sampson's England side start their qualifying campaign in Estonia.

"They're certainly two players he could look at," Liverpool's Williams said.

"Nikita Parris has been doing well for Man City, while Beth Mead's been scoring many goals in the league. I'm sure Mark, being the manager that he is, will give these young talents a chance in our first qualifier." 

Parris, who is on loan at Manchester City from WSL 2 side Everton, and Sunderland's Mead have represented England from Under-17 to Under-23 level. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34060543

If Kirby can get into a World Cup squad on nothing more than goals scored in WSL2 then Mead and Parris should have no problem getting into squads for Euros qualifiers. But it would still be a case of who drops out to let them in because we have more forwards than we know what to do with. By all means ship all 15 or so of them off to SGP for training purposes, but the bench is only seven players big. 

So I can foresee a lot rotation during the qualifiers and players who would otherwise be regulars having a turn of being left at home just to give us a chance to play somebody else. Or at least I hope that is how we are about to do things, because we are fortunate enough to be able to so might as well.

Acer

I think both deserve a call up. I hope that Mark uses these qualifiers to bleed a lot of our talented u-23's and u-20's into the senior squad and not just forwards. I would love to see us field teams (at least for the first half of these games) that draw out these lesser teams (since the majority of them only bunker) and allow them to test out our more inexperienced midfield and defenders instead of just making it a goal scoring fest.

I like how on the same day that Williams talks up Parris the news about her FA misconduct charge surfaces. Parris herself is her biggest obstacle to a senior call up. We have more than enough forwards to get away with overlooking one who has questionable temperament and professionalism. Sampson shouldn't go near her until the head on her shoulders matures a bit.

I think that's a harsh assessment of Parris and she wouldn't be the first England player that has come under FA misconduct charges this season or let's their temperament flair in games.  She is still very young and hopefully her over-exuberance at times can be harnessed.  She has a lot of potential and passion which could get her far in the future, she also seems like a team player which is always helpful on a national team.

Toblerone

Anonymous wrote:I think that's a harsh assessment of Parris and she wouldn't be the first England player that has come under FA misconduct charges this season or let's their temperament flair in games.  She is still very young and hopefully her over-exuberance at times can be harnessed.  She has a lot of potential and passion which could get her far in the future, she also seems like a team player which is always helpful on a national team.
Even with England U15 she was petulant and reckless.

Stop the presses, a petulant and reckless teenage girl. She's a still a kid, if she continues to improve (in technique and temperament), works hard, and most importantly is a team player what she was as a young teenager shouldn't be held against her.

Toblerone

Anonymous wrote:Stop the presses, a petulant and reckless teenage girl.  She's a still a kid, if she continues to improve (in technique and temperament), works hard, and most importantly is a team player what she was as a young teenager shouldn't be held against her.  
I could name two or three players who never got back into any England youth or senior squad after being sent home at U15 level. We are taliking about the FA here...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum