FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Transfer Rumours & Discussion

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 18]

151Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:32 am

Guest wrote:That's as good a theory as any. On the surface Chelsea didn't look to particularly need Carney so the idea that she ended up there to preempt a possible exit which never materialised does fit.
All managers like to try and work with a 'sign what you might need before you lose what you might lose' attitude. It is seen a lot in the men's game because the money involved there means that if you approach a club for one of their players and they know how much you need said player they will milk you for even more. That doesn't quite apply in the WSL yet, but the other benefit of this attitude is that you don't have an actual gap to fill, just a theoretical one, and that removes the pressure of having to. In other words, you don't panic and fill it with any old thing.

So if Hayes secured Carney in case Ji left it was smart. So long as she can now juggle everybody.

152Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 am

Guest wrote:...
So if Hayes secured Carney in case Ji left it was smart. So long as she can now juggle everybody.
I can't see it working well unless they go far into the cup competitions to get extra fixtures into their schedule. In some cases it would be doable, but I don't think the circumstances of some of their players go well with rotation. Davison is only on the fringes of the national team; she had to bust a gut to get a look in and even then it came later than it should have and wasn't for the big games. Aluko hasn't cemented herself a role under Sampson. Kirby is a funny one because she looks to be one of his favourites but her actual contribution doesn't reflect that status and there will come a point when he is no longer able to play her in spite of it. And Carney might have been fancied at the World Cup but her injury took her spot away from her and it is going to have to be earnt back to some level. All four of them arguably need 90 minutes every week. And it would be tough to get that even if So-Yun wasn't also there needing significant pitch time of her own.

153Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:01 am

Guest wrote:I can't see it working well unless they go far into the cup competitions to get extra fixtures into their schedule. In some cases it would be doable, but I don't think the circumstances of some of their players go well with rotation. Davison is only on the fringes of the national team; she had to bust a gut to get a look in and even then it came later than it should have and wasn't for the big games. Aluko hasn't cemented herself a role under Sampson. Kirby is a funny one because she looks to be one of his favourites but her actual contribution doesn't reflect that status and there will come a point when he is no longer able to play her in spite of it. And Carney might have been fancied at the World Cup but her injury took her spot away from her and it is going to have to be earnt back to some level. All four of them arguably need 90 minutes every week. And it would be tough to get that even if So-Yun wasn't also there needing significant pitch time of her own.
It has been covered a lot in other threads but Sampson's next job has to be to cull the number of forwards in his squad. He has too many at the minute to the detriment of our football in front of goal. So Carney - who falls into the group of players under threat from that cull - going to a club where three others in the same boat are already there is either very clever or very stupid.

155Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:41 pm

Guest wrote:I can't see it working well unless they go far into the cup competitions to get extra fixtures into their schedule. In some cases it would be doable, but I don't think the circumstances of some of their players go well with rotation. Davison is only on the fringes of the national team; she had to bust a gut to get a look in and even then it came later than it should have and wasn't for the big games. Aluko hasn't cemented herself a role under Sampson. Kirby is a funny one because she looks to be one of his favourites but her actual contribution doesn't reflect that status and there will come a point when he is no longer able to play her in spite of it. And Carney might have been fancied at the World Cup but her injury took her spot away from her and it is going to have to be earnt back to some level. All four of them arguably need 90 minutes every week. And it would be tough to get that even if So-Yun wasn't also there needing significant pitch time of her own.
Coombs played more games than anybody else last season and they have loaned her out. Her not being there opens up a space in the starting XI without affecting the place for Aluko, Davison, Kirby or Ji. Give that space to Carney, rejig the roles a little, and it is possible to get all five on the pitch at the same time for every game. Would it be the most effective way to deploy them all? Probably not. But it's better than rotating who gets a turn to sit on the bench.

Though the above obviously depends entirely on Hayes not signing a direct replacement for Coombs.

156Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Has there been any talk of Greenwood going to Chelsea and Fara would actually fit in more in Chelsea's midfield than at Arsenals? She should go there plus she's a massive fan of Chelsea anyway. I agree though Hayes has to many forwards and won't be able to play them all unless they are played out of position or rotating which another poster has rightly said wouldn't be in the best interest of the players trying to cement their place on the England squad.

Things are definitely heating up in the transfer window and I'd expect we'll get some shocking signings.

157Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Guest wrote:Has there been any talk of Greenwood going to Chelsea
I've heard her name mentioned on occasion but not in regards to anything specific. I figured it was coming from her being a NT player and the expectation that all of them would gravitate to Arsenal/Chelsea/City eventually.

158Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Guest wrote:Things are definitely heating up in the transfer window and I'd expect we'll get some shocking signings.
It looks like many are getting stuck into preseason this week or next, so presumably any clubs who are sitting on announcements will finally get around to sharing them very soon. Or if not, I'm sure players will end up letting the cat out of the bag with their social media. It wouldn't be a WSL winter without at least one surprise face being spotted in the background of a training selfie.

159Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:47 pm

This mega big game changing transfer which Arsenal are supposed to have coming - which so many assumed was Fara but others are saying is not her - it's not Asllani, is it?

160Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Supposedly she's English, my guess would be Davison. I've heard remote rumours linking Taylor with Arsenal so I guess it could be her or it could be Fara or someone else

161Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:11 pm

Guest wrote:Supposedly she's English, my guess would be Davison.
If it is Davison that would mean that when Hayes responded to Leighton's Davison/City rumour calling it crap she wasn't actually giving confirmation that Davison wasn't leaving, just that Davison wasn't going to where Leighton said. Which would be rather sneaky of her.

162Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Andrew Gibney @Gibney_A
Got a feeling the #WSL transfer window will start to pick up more speed in the next week or so. Huge #Arsenal news tomorrow.

First bit not that hard to conclude. Second bit is interesting. I guess we won't have to wait long to see who it is.

163Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm going to guess it's not Fara given she is in Singapore right now. You wouldn't wait this long to announce it, let her get her wedding over and done with, and then finally go public when she is still on her honeymoon. What is one more week of waiting for her to get home when you've held off for three months already.

164Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:55 pm

I'm going to guess it's not Fara given she is in Singapore right now. You wouldn't wait this long to announce it, let her get her wedding over and done with, and then finally go public when she is still on her honeymoon. What is one more week of waiting for her to get home when you've held off for three months already.

Or just sign and announce her before all of that happened in early December when there was still a buzz about instead of half way through January when it's become stale news. Have they really signed Fara? An insider has already said that van de Donk was their target and Fara was their back up and rumours have certainly cooled a bit around Fara going to Arsenal since van de Donk was signed. If she goes there Arsenal will have too many midfielders and the same problem Chelsea is having with forwards at the moment. I don't understand why all these England girls are going where they will have limited playing time with the Euros only a year away and expectation of winning or at least making it to the final.

165Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Guest wrote:Or just sign and announce her before all of that happened in early December when there was still a buzz about instead of half way through January when it's become stale news. Have they really signed Fara? An insider has already said that van de Donk was their target and Fara was their back up and rumours have certainly cooled a bit around Fara going to Arsenal since van de Donk was signed. If she goes there Arsenal will have too many midfielders and the same problem Chelsea is having with forwards at the moment.
I can't speak for everybody, but for me, the Fara/Arsenal thing only ever felt like a possibility. And one which was spread in an almost Chinese whispers like way, with people incorrectly speaking of it like it was done deal so much that the whole thing just morphed into being exactly that.

The rumour starting when she was still playing for Liverpool; the van de Donk signing; the fact Arsenal just don't need her; that we have been waiting forever for news; that a legitimate source hasn't said anything of note recently; that nobody at all has actually given us an update recently for that matter. It just doesn't feel like a transfer is happening. And if it wasn't for us having so little to discuss I don't think this subject would still be being mentioned.

And now I've said all that watch them announce her tomorrow Laughing

166Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:38 am

If Arsenal do announce Fara today it will be a real shame that something which should absolutely have been a big deal and talking point will instead be met with nothing more than a collective shoulder shrug and everybody being far more interested in the next transfer because we all stopped caring about this one months ago. I hope there is sound logic behind the wait because it has ruined this as an event.

167Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:39 am

Guest wrote:This mega big game changing transfer which Arsenal are supposed to have coming - which so many assumed was Fara but others are saying is not her - it's not Asllani, is it?
I believe there are two separate transfers, both of which are big players and so both of which are being confused with each other as a result of there being so little confirmed info. There is one which is done: English, highly suspected to be Fara. And one which is a work in progress: no details that anybody wants to share.

As for Asllani, I read an article yesterday which I now can't find again because it was foreign, but it said she hadn't made her mind up yet and was in no rush to. She isn't going home to Sweden though and is expected to say in Europe.

168Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 am

Guest wrote:I believe there are two separate transfers, both of which are big players and so both of which are being confused with each other as a result of there being so little confirmed info. There is one which is done: English, highly suspected to be Fara. And one which is a work in progress: no details that anybody wants to share.
That happens all the time when sources won't refer to a transfer or player as anything more than 'big'. "Big announcement coming..." "big player on the move", "big transfer this...", "big transfer that..." It's like, yeah we know it's interesting news but can't you at least come up with some creative way to differentiate? There is being vague to protect your information and then there is being vague. It's no wonder people get mixed up.

169Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Fara to Arsenal is now official. Don't all wet yourselves with excitement at once.

170Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:34 pm

I really can't see how Arsenal don't have to offload midfielders now. Their squad is unworkable. They are stacked more than Chelsea are with forwards.

171Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Janssen, Nobbs, Losada, Williamson, Bailey | van de Donk, Williams

Corredera, Natalia, Carter, Yankey, Humphrey, Kelly, Smith

There is no way they are getting any more ins without outs happening first.

172Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:59 pm

Guest wrote:Janssen, Nobbs, Losada, Williamson, Bailey | van de Donk, Williams
Williamson and Bailey will be the first to lose their game time, Bailey in particular just because Williamson is the one people speak higher of more often. Neither should be being shunted out of their natural position (Williamson's imminent fate) and neither should be being shunted to the bench (Bailey's imminent fate). 

Bailey definitely needs loaning out for her own sake (why hasn't she been sent the other way to Liverpool?). Williamson needs 90 minutes every week; she won't get that but people will pretend it's all fine because she now has Fara Williams to tutor her.

173Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Guest wrote:Bailey definitely needs loaning out for her own sake (why hasn't she been sent the other way to Liverpool?).
It might still happen yet but somebody is keen to make as many announcements as possible rather than joint news. They could have done Williams and Chamberlain at the same time for example but didn't.

Liverpool having no midfield and Arsenal having two was a convenience both clubs could have used at a time when they were doing related business. IF they had actually wanted to. Rogers might not have wanted Bailey or Losa might not have wanted to let her go.

174Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Guest wrote:Bailey definitely needs loaning out for her own sake (why hasn't she been sent the other way to Liverpool?).
Loaning out Bailey would help her but it wouldn't help Arsenal. I mean, it's not like the problem here is having too much youth to give them all the minutes they need, it's having too many midfielders of any age full stop. They could loan out both of Bailey and Williamson and they would still struggle to get Janssen, Nobbs, Losada, van de Donk and Williams on the pitch in way which satisfied everybody. The problem is only properly solved when one of those five players leave, not the youngsters.

175Transfer Rumours & Discussion - Page 7 Empty Re: Transfer Rumours & Discussion Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:08 pm

Guest wrote:They could loan out both of Bailey and Williamson and they would still struggle to get Janssen, Nobbs, Losada, van de Donk and Williams on the pitch in way which satisfied everybody. 
As already said, it's not doable. There is at least one too many. If we still had a Conti Cup group stage, and if the Euros weren't on the horizon, then Losa might have had a chance if he was a magician. But he can't manage it with not enough guaranteed matches and a major tournament around the corner.

If you ask the question of whether any of them would sign for Arsenal if Arsenal offered them a rotation role all five would say no. And so they won't accept their starting role being reduced to that once there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum