FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

762015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Notts came back from being two nil down to draw that. Both goals were scored in the last 10 minutes as well, although the first was a pen. City's game in hand still keeps them in it but it is a slip whichever way you cut it.

772015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re:WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Hey as a Liverpool fan keep the draws coming. It seems that Notts especially and to a certain extent Sunderland score late goals. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chelsea v Arsenal game is a draw. Does anyone know if Chapman is still out because she adds a lot of steel to their spine and Arsenal might capitalise on that like they did in the Conti Cup game and get a win?

If Carney is fit and gaining form I don't see Birmingham in a relegation fight, it's just going to be Bristol.

782015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:12 pm

City's draw earlier leaves them level on points with Arsenal as it stands but crucially with a game in hand. Since the pair of them don't meet again it just became vital for Arsenal that they get a win today. They will go top if they do.

792015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:40 pm

I can't decide if Van Veenendal starting instead of Byrne is a surprise or not. Which one has been getting the games lately?

802015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:00 pm

No Alex Scott. What is the story there?

812015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:10 pm

That was a terrible OG from Losada. Don't think she could have gotten that any more wrong if she tried. Bad set piece defending all round really. And after Arsenal had made the better start as well.

822015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:14 pm

gillynomad

Anonymous wrote:I can't decide if Van Veenendal starting instead of Byrne is a surprise or not. Which one has been getting the games lately?

Think it's been Van Veenendal in the Conti games and Bryne in the league games (may be wrong though). I was a little surprised when I saw Van Veenendal's name on the team sheet as starting GK.

832015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:30 pm

gillynomad wrote:Think it's been Van Veenendal in the Conti games and Bryne in the league games (may be wrong though). I was a little surprised when I saw Van Veenendal's name on the team sheet as starting GK.
I wonder if that is it for Byrne now. It seemed pretty inevitable that she would be gone from the starting team eventually following Van Veenendal's arrival. If Van Veenendal is getting league games now then her adjustment period must be complete.

842015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:39 pm

That was a great ball into the box by Bailey. Not sure how it didn't result in a goal.

852015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Common story for Arsenal - concede sloppy goals at one end, get the ball into the right areas at the other end but ultimately do nothing with it. The counter attacks of these two sides are like chalk and cheese; one has the numbers up while the other just doesn't. Arsenal need somebody in the midfield who can get forward quicker or just get forward at all for that matter.

862015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Guest wrote:No Alex Scott. What is the story there?
She is sat in the stands looking like she turned up to play. Was she injured in the warm up?

872015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:14 pm

It's a good job Kirby can't get anything on target so far today otherwise Arsenal would be taking a scoreline beating.

882015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Nice save from Van Veenendal. Would probably have been game over if that had gone in because Arsenal don't look likely to score one nevermind enough to 3-2.

892015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Whoops, Chelsea pen. Davison 2-0.

902015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Nobbs has only been on for 10 minutes and she has already made more of the forward runs that Arsenal were missing than anybody else did the 60 minutes before she came on. Trouble is they've taken off Carter to get Nobbs and Carter was pretty much the only one who was taking the ball into the final third in the first place.

912015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:53 pm

So unlucky Nobbs. That would have been a nice finish.

922015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Arsenal 0-2 Chelsea FT. An OG and a pen. Not really the match I was hoping for as a neutral.

932015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: Arsenal Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:30 pm

Acer

If I recall correctly, Arsenal hasn't won any of their games broadcasted on BT Sport this season. I'm hoping that BT Sport broadcasts the Arsenal v Liverpool game on the 5 September. Laughing

Chelsea is looking as the league winners unless they choke again, in which case I tip Man City to make it over the line first with Sunderland coming third either way. From a Liverpool perspective I hope both Man City and Sunderland focus more on the league table and field weaker sides for the Conti Cup allowing us to get into the knockout rounds where we hopefully can get to the final and at least have a chance of winning something this year.

942015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 am

kemlyn

Admin

2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Tumblr_ntjy9npvz81r859igo1_500

952015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:43 am

I wasn't expecting Birmingham to take any points from Sunderland yesterday so the relegation battle just became an awful lot clearer - anything less than a win for Bristol when they face Birmingham next and you would have to think that really is it for them, because I don't see them leapfrogging Birmingham any other way looking at their remaining fixtures.

962015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:52 pm

I've only just realised looking at that table now how many goals Notts have conceded this year. There were GF6 and GA6 after 11 games last season. It looks like they have more than added the missing fire power up top (although six goals came against Bristol) but have gone and lost their defence at the same time, leaving them only 3pts better off for it.

972015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:25 pm

gillynomad

Anonymous wrote:I wasn't expecting Birmingham to take any points from Sunderland yesterday so the relegation battle just became an awful lot clearer - anything less than a win for Bristol when they face Birmingham next and you would have to think that really is it for them, because I don't see them leapfrogging Birmingham any other way looking at their remaining fixtures.

agreed - I think they need to beat Birmingham and get at least a draw at home to Liverpool.

Birmingham have Notts County and Arsenal away - both of whom haven't been playing great. Still tough games though, especially away from home!

The conti cup game will be interesting because I doubt Birmingham will put their strongest team out.

982015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:17 pm

gillynomad wrote:agreed - I think they need to beat Birmingham and get at least a draw at home to Liverpool.
Bristol-Liverpool is only three/four days before Liverpool travel to Italy, so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that they might not field a full strength side. It just depends how results go between now and then and whether or not they are in with a chance of finishing 2nd. If not they may as well concentrate their efforts on their CL game. Though all of this will only matter if Bristol aren't already officially relegated before then.

992015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:41 am

05 Sept
Liverpool vs Arsenal
Bristol vs Birmingham

06 Sept
Chelsea vs Notts County
Man City vs Sunderland

1002015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion - Page 4 Empty Re: 2015 - WSL1 General Match Discussion Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:57 am

I can't decide if I think Liverpool are still in contention for the second CL spot. Their remaining fixtures mean they could play as big a part in the title race as anybody who is actually racing but only if they feel they still have something to play for themselves. They rotated players for their Conti game against City because qualification was already secured - I wonder if they are they going to view their remaining league games as opportunities to do the same again? It would be interesting either way.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum