FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

2016 Fixture List

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

12016 Fixture List Empty 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 pm

FA Women’s Super League (FA WSL) 1 champions Chelsea will face newly-promoted Doncaster Rovers Belles when they begin their title defence in March.

The Blues will face the Belles on Thursday 24 March in their first game of the 2016 season.

The league, now in its sixth season, will kick off the day before [Wednesday 23 March] with FA WSL 2 title winners Reading travelling to two-time winners Arsenal for their opener. Last season’s runners-up Manchester City will host Notts County, while Liverpool will face Birmingham City.

FA WSL 1 has been expanded this season to nine teams for the first time, a gradual step to the league increasing to 10 teams in 2017. Sunderland’s first game of the season is at home against Reading on Saturday 26 March.

In FA WSL 2, promoted Sheffield FC will host Durham in their curtain-raiser on Wednesday 23 March.

Newly-named Bristol City, who were relegated from FA WSL 1, welcome Yeovil while London Bees host Watford. The following day [Thursday 24 March] Everton will play Aston Villa and Millwall Lionesses will travel to Oxford United.

The league will take a mid-season break from 26 May until 25 June. The league’s final day for both divisions will be on Sunday 6 November.

FA director of football participation and development, Kelly Simmons, said: “We’re set for another really exciting season in the FA WSL and the opening week’s fixtures demonstrate just that.

“Last season was a real landmark for women’s football in general. We saw record attendances and the awareness and positivity around the game really grow, and the FA WSL clubs played a huge part in this.

“It will be a big challenge to continue this momentum without the attention that a major tournament like the World Cup generates but we are confident that the supporter base and interest in the league is strong and that we’ll see even more growth in 2016.”

Read more at http://www.fawsl.com/news/fa_wsl_2016_fixtures_announced.html#Eyj0xhp1ioKYQFGI.99

22016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:29 pm

So if the break is not going to coincide with the Olympics... what happens to those who will lose players to that tournament? Are they allowed to postpone? Are we going to have another repeat of 2014 when there were so many games which needed to be rescheduled the end of the fixture list was ripped up and done again?

32016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:36 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at everybody's list in detail, but at first glance that's a very sparse schedule for anybody who doesn't reach both cup finals. 18 guaranteed matches spread over nine months is ridiculous. Why did nobody explain to the FA that the way to ease fixture congestion is to extend the season not cut the number of games.

42016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Guest wrote:I haven't had a chance to look at everybody's list in detail, but at first glance that's a very sparse schedule for anybody who doesn't reach both cup finals. 18 guaranteed matches spread over nine months is ridiculous. Why did nobody explain to the FA that the way to ease fixture congestion is to extend the season not cut the number of games.
18 matches spread over nine months and they still have to schedule that many midweek games! One day the FA will be sat around a table trying to figure out why attendances aren't rising enough to satisfy them and the tea lady will take just a glance at the stats and info and be the person to point out that it's because their so called family friendly league isn't scheduled for families.

52016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:58 pm

It has only just occurred to me now the lists are out that the odd number of teams this season means somebody has to sit out the final day. Whose bright idea was it to pick a title favourite as the team to not be playing?

62016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Guest wrote:It has only just occurred to me now the lists are out that the odd number of teams this season means somebody has to sit out the final day. Whose bright idea was it to pick a title favourite as the team to not be playing?
They have scheduled the finale for 6pm on a Sunday night again, despite the criticism for doing that last season, so it doesn't really matter who is or isn't playing because hardly anybody is going to see any of the conclusion anyway.

72016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:27 pm

so it doesn't really matter who is or isn't playing because hardly anybody is going to see any of the conclusion anyway.
They are stretching 18 games OVER six months if they have anyones attention at the point I will be shocked. Poor fixture list. I don't understand how this will help them grow the league.

82016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Guest wrote:They are stretching 18 games OVER six months if they have anyones attention at the point I will be shocked. Poor fixture list. I don't understand how this will help them grow the league.
It won't, certainly not to the degree which the FA are supposedly after. And not when ticket prices are going up but the number of games is going down. And not when evening and mid-week kick offs are still so prevalent but provisions are not being made to still allow the fan who can't travel see the game they can't attend due to the kick off time. It's all so frustratingly poor on numerous fronts. It's like, every year these fixture lists come out and they are riddled with problems but we just swap one problem or another, they never actually get any better.

92016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Guest wrote:So if the break is not going to coincide with the Olympics... what happens to those who will lose players to that tournament? Are they allowed to postpone? Are we going to have another repeat of 2014 when there were so many games which needed to be rescheduled the end of the fixture list was ripped up and done again?
Last time this subject came up I think it was three outfield players (including youth level internationals) or one player if that one player is your goalkeeper.

102016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:03 pm

I was going to ask what the point of a summer break was if it's not going to overlap with the summer intentional tournament but then I realised that if we don't have a month (a whole MONTH) off then the fixtures would be even more spread out.

112016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Guest wrote:I was going to ask what the point of a summer break was if it's not going to overlap with the summer intentional tournament but then I realised that if we don't have a month (a whole MONTH) off then the fixtures would be even more spread out.
I can't get my head around this. Breaking when England are participating in a tournament, fine that's obvious. But why isn't the 'avoid a clash' purpose of the break still the same when England aren't participating? Are we breaking through June to avoid clashing with the men's Euros? Because if so why would you want to avoid clashing with that if doing so just puts you on course to instead clash with the Olympics which is technically your own sport's major tournament  scratch

122016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:29 pm

Guest wrote:Last time this subject came up I think it was three outfield players (including youth level internationals) or one player if that one player is your goalkeeper.
I think most will end up being made to play on. The spread out nature of the fixtures suggests that any rescheduled games should be easier to accommodate so it may not be quite as bad as in the past when clubs were having to choose between playing on or making their fixture congestion even worse, but I could be wrong because I haven't properly looked at the complications of the whole every team gets a turn having bye-week thing.

132016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:24 pm

Even when you factor all of this into proceedings there are still gaping holes all over the place

20 March - FA Cup Round 5
03 April - FA Cup Round 6
4-12 April - International Break
17 April - FA Cup SF
14 May - FA Cup Final
26 May until 25 June - League Break | 30 May until 07 June International Break
2/3 July - Conti Cup Round 1
05 until 21 August - Olympics
6/7 August - Conti Cup QF
2/3 September - Conti Cup SF
12-20 September - International Break
1/2 October - Conti Cup Final
17-25 October - International Break

142016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:09 am

This list is not very conducive of gaining fans, what casual fan is going to start in March and follow all the way through till October with major gaps in between. I can see the FA cup final being popular for the casual fan due to Wembly but this will not grow the league for them.

152016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:40 am

Guest wrote:This list is not very conducive of gaining fans, what casual fan is going to start in March and follow all the way through till October with major gaps in between. I can see the FA cup final being popular for the casual fan due to Wembly but this will not grow the league for them.
I've spent many years attempting to help my team catch the attention of fans who follow our affiliated men's team, and I have lost count of the number of times somebody has asked me when the next game is because they are thinking about going to one only for them to turn around and say lol bye when I tell them it's three weeks away.

162016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:42 pm

somebody has asked me when the next game is because they are thinking about going to one only for them to turn around and say lol bye when I tell them it's three weeks away.
The FAWSL should take a leaf out from cricket super bash that just finished in Oz. It was short and intense and quite popular with fans at the gate and on telly. Women's sports are better if confined to a short period of time when trying to gain a fan base.

172016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Hayes isn't happy http://www.pressreader.com/uk/i-from-the-independent/20160128/282956744186916/TextView

182016 Fixture List Empty Re: 2016 Fixture List Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Guest wrote:Hayes isn't happy
Can you blame her? She has always been one of the more vocal managers when it comes to fixture list problems. I expect we will be hearing more from her and others as the season goes on. And no doubt half of it will be dismissed by some as bitterness or bias depending on where in the table their team is sitting when they say it  Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum