FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Algarve/Cyprus/SheBelieves Cup 2016

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Guest wrote:I don't know I think that Algarve and Cyprus Cup will continue but I agree they will be different. The Algarve will most likely be extremely watered down tournament but I can see the Cyprus surviving being the "left-over" nations that aren't invited to the four nations. Cyprus is still a great place to have a tournament in March. 
The Algarve without the US, France and Germany (and most likely Japan from next year onward) would still have the rest of the top European teams, plus the likes of China who are regulars as well, and even Brazil showed up last year. I would still rank that higher than what the Cyprus Cup has. I see no reason for any of them to switch to Cyprus. Meaning that if the Algarve was the best and Cyprus second best before this four-nation tournament appeared then our March is about to become third tier.

From our POV we are still on the wrong side and the only way that is going to change is if we cease organising the Cyprus Cup in favour of doing a new one which invites the best from the Algarve and Cyprus. Everybody else can go to the Istria Cup.

27General Algarve/Cyprus/SheBelieves Cup 2016 - Page 2 Empty Re: Algarve & Cyprus Cups 2016 Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23 pm

What would be the draw to Algarve without the those four nations? Why wouldn't the likes of Sweden, Norway, Spain ect want to play in the Cyprus instead?

Based on last year...

Algarve 2015: USA, Germany, FranceJapan, Brazil, China, Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Portugal, Sweden Switzerland

Cyprus 2015: Ourselves, Canada, Italy, Scotland, South Korea, Australia, Netherlands, Finland, Mexico, Czech Republic, South Africa, Belgium

I don't think either screams come here but the Algarve would probably still be viewed as being the better competition. And if there is a chance that some may switch to Cyprus then there is also a chance that four spots opening up at the Algarve will see Cyprus' better sides switching the other way.

If you were to take those Algarve teams minus Portugal and then have them in a new cup with ourselves, Canada and Australia it's a lot better from our point of view. And especially in comparison to what the Cyprus Cup would become if four did indeed leave us.

If the Algarve and Cyprus cups do continue in 2017 then who goes where is likely to be heavily influenced by the fact it falls in a Euros year. In other words, all the European teams are going to want to gather in the same place for what would effectually be a dry-run Euro 2017. 

We are currently Cyprus organisers. Sweden are currently Algarve organisers. We are both arguably the draws of our respective tournaments and both locked into being there. That is either going to split the Euro countries between the two or convince everybody to merge the two.

And who knows, France and Germany may feel that going to America to play non-European teams is not the best prep for a Euros. If they come back then everybody is off to Algarve again. Except us.

The way I see it, us deciding to create the Cyprus Cup because we weren't getting invited to the Algarve was a good decision for the time it was made - but we did become Algarve invite worthy in the time since and our Cyprus commitment has prevented us from going. I don't like this US cup at all but it is the perfect opportunity for us to shake things up even further and end our awkward circumstances which have us shackled to where the good teams don't go. We might as well get something out of it if after this year we aren't getting an actual SheBelieves invite.

SheBelieves squads:

France
Goalkeepers: Bouhaddi, Gérard, Philippe
Defenders: Delannoy, Gadea, Georges, Houara, Karchaoui, Majri, Mbock Bathy Nka
Midfielders: Abily, Asseyi, Bilbaut, Bussaglia, Diani, Hamraoui, Kaci, Leger, Thomis
Forwards: Delie, Lavogez, Le Sommer, Necib

Germany
Goalkeepers: Benkarth, Schult, Weiß
Defenders: Bartusiak, Hendrich, Henning, Kemme, Krahn, Maier, Peter
Midfielders: Behringer, Blässe, Däbritz, Doorsoun, Goeßling, Huth, Kerschowski
Forwards: Islacker, Magull, Marozsan, Mittag, Petermann, Popp

USA
Goalkeepers: Harris, Naeher, Solo
Defenders: Barnes, Engen, Hinkle, Johnston, Klingenberg, Krieger, O’Hara, Sauerbrunn, Sonnett
Midfielders: Brian, Heath, Horan, Lloyd, Mewis, O’Reilly
Forwards: Dunn, Morgan, Press, Pugh

I'm getting sort of worried/nervous for the players. This is by far the toughest tournament they've ever been in. Do you think that if they have a bad showing that it will translate into the momentum the WSL seems to have had this off season? Germany's midfield, USA's defense and France's attack are all worrisome.

I'm getting sort of worried/nervous for the players.  This is by far the toughest tournament they've ever been in.  Do you think that if they have a bad showing that it will translate into the momentum the WSL seems to have had this off season?  Germany's midfield, USA's defense and France's attack are all worrisome.

General Algarve/Cyprus/SheBelieves Cup 2016 - Page 2 CckrNQWWEAEMJ0K

General Algarve/Cyprus/SheBelieves Cup 2016 - Page 2 Cckk8YQXEAAzT4t

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum