FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beard Out - Rogers Promoted

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm surprised we've got to the shortlist and interview stage so quickly. There is probably a clue there. I'm just not sure whether the clue is in regards to how long a manager change has really been in the pipeline for or how far and wide we haven't had to look in order to put the shortlist together.

52Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:47 pm

A shortlist and an interview process suggests more than one option is being considered and that the club haven't simply headhunted somebody in particular, because shortlists and interviews are a bit redundant if you know exactly who you want and they are up for it.

I think I'm right in saying that you need permission to speak to anybody who is currently employed elsewhere, and when you combine that with the fact people don't tend to go after new jobs unless they know they are certain to get it for fear of annoying their current employers... well that doesn't really fit with having to go through a multiple candidate interview stage.

So I'm thinking open application which has resulted in a shortlist of mostly either unemployed or out of season managers? All, or most of which, may be women if Oatley is purposefully dropping hints rather than just speculating.

So it sounds like next Wednesday is Beard's last game for the club.

54Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:57 pm

Guest wrote:So it sounds like next Wednesday is Beard's last game for the club.
If you're referring to the way his departure was spoken about in one of the features during the Brescia prematch coverage then that is how I interpreted it as well. But I'm hoping it was just a case of them talking in terms of how many guaranteed games he has left.

If you're referring to the way his departure was spoken about in one of the features during the Brescia prematch coverage then that is how I interpreted it as well. But I'm hoping it was just a case of them talking in terms of how many guaranteed games he has left.

Yes, i was. Beard mentioned that hoping to win on Sunday so the new manager could work and see what the girls are like during high pressure situations. That sounds like he's leaving next Wednesday.

56Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:39 pm

After hearing his own post-match comments it does indeed sound like he won't be here beyond next week even if we get additional games. I don't understand why that has to be the case. But I suppose it would explain us already interviewing replacements so soon. 

I still can't help but think it's all moving rather fast though, like this has been in motion for far longer than what people's comments suggests.

57Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:55 pm

At first I was hoping this was a simple case of Boston turning his head at the same time they fired Durkin. But the more I hear the more I'm starting to hope we have known about this for ages. Because if it is true that he wasn't thinking of going anywhere until Boston called, and if it is also true that he isn't going to properly see out the season with us - then the fact we need a new manager right now just in case we progress in the Conti or CL means we will have only had a matter of weeks to replace him. Which would throw a careful and thorough search right out the window.

58Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:08 am

If he is indeed leaving after the second leg then you've got to think the thought process was that he only stays for whatever games were already confirmed and in the schedule at the time his leaving date was decided. If the assumed time frame is correct then the Conti semi wasn't, but since it falls between the two R32 legs which were, he stays for the semi as well by default. 

But who decided his leaving date? Because if it was him then it kind of flies in the face of everything he said about being fully committed despite having a new job lined up. If he was fully committed why wouldn't he stay for a cup final and a R16 stage which he has never reached before? It sounds a bit 'off at the first opportunity' to me. And if it was the club who decided his leaving date why would they willingly switch managers right before games of final and R16 importance? If it was Boston, why is they club letting a third party dictate the ending of his contract when their season doesn't start again until next year? There isn't a nice answer to any of that.

59Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:25 am

The stadium announcer at the Chelsea game said there was going to be a sending off ceremony of sorts during the Brescia home leg. And it immediately struck me as odd because if we were to progress to the round of 16 he would still have a home game left that should be his send off instead. But I guess it makes sense now if it's Brescia and done.

I'm not surprised that he's leaving if we proceed to the R16 in the CL, what's surprising is that no matter the result on Sunday he is gone on Wednesday. I wonder if the club had asked him to put his attentions on proceeding in the CL at the expense of making a Conti Cup final and leaving on Wednesday as an incentive. It might be all a mute point at this juncture with Bonner out injured unless Easton or Stout are going to start on Wednesday.

61Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:32 pm

How much point is there in sacrificing the Conti Cup to put all of our eggs in the CL basket when the benefits of prolonging our CL run are only felt if we also progress passed the R16 stage as well but the odds of actually managing to pull that off are stacked so high against us. There isn't really anything to be gained from progressing from the R32 to the R16. It is the quarterfinals which would bring the benefits for us, because that stage falling after the next transfer window would help with player recruitment. Sacrifice the Conti Cup to concentrate on the R16 sure, because we would be one round away from achieving the aim of CL football falling next year. But don't sacrifice it for the R32. And certainly not when the squad is barebones broke and we won't have seeded protection again.

But it doesn't matter what pans out or whether or not us prioritising makes it happen, because at the end of the day our best chance of success in either competition is with Beard still in charge as there just isn't enough time for a new manager to come in and know what's what.

62Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:46 pm

I don't know if I should be surprised or not that we haven't had any rumour regarding his replacement. I know candidates for previous WSL jobs haven't become public knowledge but I thought given the recent increase in attention and that we do now seem to have a small handful of women's game journalists that somebody somewhere might have heard something and shared it. All we've got are Oatley's comments and we can't even know for sure if she is dropping legit hints or just speculating.

63Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:28 pm

What happens if the club are rushing the hiring process because we need a replacement in case we progress but then we don't progress and his last game ends up being the last game full stop? Meaning we needn't have rushed it at all. 

I would love to know if we intend to actually appoint somebody before next Wednesday or after. If we wait until after so we know for sure if we actually need somebody in place for next month's potential games, and then it transpires that we don't, we could in theory stop what we are doing and kick off a round of more thorough searching.

64Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Guest wrote:I don't know if I should be surprised or not that we haven't had any rumour regarding his replacement. I know candidates for previous WSL jobs haven't become public knowledge but I thought given the recent increase in attention and that we do now seem to have a small handful of women's game journalists that somebody somewhere might have heard something and shared it. All we've got are Oatley's comments and we can't even know for sure if she is dropping legit hints or just speculating.
I wonder if the absence of rumour might hint towards an internal appointment. It's an awful lot easier to keep one of those quiet.

As the post above says - our circumstances with the whole 'do we need a manager right now or can we wait a bit' thing lends itself well to a temporary appointment; somebody who could agree to take charge if we actually get some extra games this year but if it turns out they won't be needed then never mind. There must be coaches already at the club who could do it. I'd rather see us go temporary through November with an internal appointment and give ourselves a bit longer to find a permanent one.

65Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Ideal scenario... we've had a stroke of luck and somebody very good has dropped their CV into our inbox - meaning none of the how long has he known/how long have we known/how much time have we had/do we even need to appoint somebody yet questions ultimately don't matter because we've already found the calibre of coach that we would have ended up with after a thorough search for one.

But asking the question of why Beard isn't just staying in charge for November as well is still fair game imo.

66Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:20 am

Well going out of the Conti Cup last night means the above scenario is now one step closer to becoming reality. Lose on Wednesday and we needn't have moved so quickly to replace him.

But if there is one silver lining to having done so it would be that it maximises the new manager's time to sort out what is what in regards to the playing squad. I just hope that whoever we have got will satisfy players enough to make them stay or join. But that comes back to how much time we had to find somebody, and also the winder circumstances at the club. One the surface, the former would appear to be be 'not enough' and the latter appears to be 'not great' in comparison to the financially better off.

67Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:42 pm

At least we now know the guest coming to the Brescia game isn't the new manager. Or maybe Kolo Toure is going into management.

68Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 pm

And that was that.

69Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:10 am

Scott Rogers appointed Liverpool Ladies manager

Liverpool Ladies are delighted to announce the appointment of Scott Rogers as their new manager.

Rogers, who has worked as the Reds assistant manager under Matt Beard for the past three years, will now take the reins with immediate effect.

On the appointment, Rogers said: “I am absolutely delighted to have been given the opportunity to manage Liverpool Ladies.

“Having worked under the stewardship of Matt for the past three seasons, I know what a great club this is and cannot wait to get started.

“We have had a tremendous run and although we were unfortunate with injuries last season we have a young, hungry squad and I am confident we will be competitive again next season.”

Ian Ayre, the club’s chief executive officer, added: “It has been an incredible story for our Ladies team during the past few years.

“Winning back-to-back titles and qualifying for the Champions League two years running has been a great achievement.

“We are delighted to now appoint Scott as the new manager and I’m looking forward to next season to carry on with the great progress that’s been made to date.” http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/ladies/196393-scott-rogers-appointed-liverpool-ladies-manager

70Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:25 am

In hindsight this looked obvious to happen. The quick turn around, the lack of rumoured or leaked names etc etc. I think somebody up thread may have even called it.

It's good from a continuity perspective, because it's quite likely that for the immediate future anyway, when it comes to things like player retention and recruitment he will just end up adopting the plans Beard would have used himself had he stayed. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little uninspired by this.

71Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:33 am

Why couldn't the club have just announced that he was taking over when they announced Beard was leaving? Surely that would have gone some way to alleviate the feeling of us being in limbo.

72Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Guest wrote:Why couldn't the club have just announced that he was taking over when they announced Beard was leaving? Surely that would have gone some way to alleviate the feeling of us being in limbo.
Maybe hiring him was not the automatic choice? Oatley said the club was interviewing and you don't tend to bother doing that if you've only got one candidate. Nor do you usually wait over a month to announce that you're just promoting the assistant. Maybe he threw his hat into the ring along with others and he was eventually considered the best option for whatever reason.

Good luck to him, I'm glad that the manager position has been quickly sorted, uncertainty of leadership at clubs is never good. Now focus can begin on next season.

74Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 pm

This is a very safe appointment and going down the promoting the assistant route is often commendable. But I'm not sure if it really suits the current circumstances. All the noise coming out of the club in recent weeks has been saying the upper management are lacking ambition/enthusiasm/interest, whatever you want to call it - does promoting an assistant contribute to that perception or change the perception? I'm inclined to believe it does the former.

75Beard Out - Rogers Promoted - Page 3 Empty Re: Beard Out - Rogers Promoted Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:38 pm

For whoever changed the title it's Rogers not Rodgers.

All the noise coming out of the club in recent weeks

I find it hard to believe that amongst all the Kloppmania surrounding Merseyside there has been much noise being made about the ladies side. Is it being leaked to the scads of reporters waiting to write about the Liverpool ladies? Who is making this noise, exactly?

Rogers in of himself has a good cv, who are the other managers out there at this time that Liverpool would have picked over him? I think that he is a good choice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum