FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Squad Discussion

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Even if central contracts weren't a factor it is hard to imagine them not being in the squad now because they are either mainstays or too big a deal has been made of their inclusion. Maybe that is one of the reasons we are using so many forwards in the first place? He just doesn't want to make a difficult decision.

I agree, I would be a very difficult decision and the longer these forwards go without scoring in meaningful games the harder it will be for him to pair down and not just call up more forwards. Central contracts aren't necessarily a bad thing and can be beneficial but it does require a knowledgeable, ruthless person that hands them out and retracts them when necessary for the benefit of the squad and not on sentiment or seniority and I don't see that sort of person at the FA.

I think that Sampson has used Carney as an attacking midfielder more so than a classic forward so I don't know if she should necessarily be included. Also one has to factor in Sampson's penchant for "squad members" who are there for banter, cohesion and such and not for what they bring to the pitch, which I think fits several of the forwards mentioned.

27General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:52 pm

He has always been top heavy in his approach. During his first year on the job it was visible in both his squad selections and his actual football. It wasn't until the Germany beating at Wembley that he finally corrected the balance on the pitch. But it isn't possible for there to be the same kind of wake up call regarding selection. Unless of course the attack continues to drain squad spots from the midfield and he wakes up one match day and realises he hasn't picked a single central midfielder at all.

28General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Guest wrote:Also one has to factor in Sampson's penchant for "squad members" who are there for banter, cohesion and such and not for what they bring to the pitch, which I think fits several of the forwards mentioned.
i.e. those with their rolling central contracts who should be cut loose, but they can't be because they are present too much, and they are only present so much to justify their central contract status. That's not easy to break.

29General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Acer wrote:... and as Sunday showed with these qualifying games we won't get meaningfully tested defensively so he might as well use them to work on a more fluid attack and finishing.
The problem there though is that we're practicing with seven or eight attack minded players on the pitch but that when the meaningful games do come around this number is being halved due to the fact we have to consider defensive responsibility. There is little point allowing ourselves to get comfortable and functional with and within a set up that isn't even going to be used for the games in which we are struggling.

30General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Defender Anita Asante has criticised England boss Mark Sampson for failing to explain why she has been dropped.

Asante, 30, who plays for Swedish side Rosengard, has 70 caps and featured at two World Cups and three European Championships.

Despite a call-up a year ago, her last appearance for England came in 2014.

"I don't know why. That's for him to answer. We haven't really had much contact since last year, so that's difficult," Asante told BBC Sport.

"You want to maintain some level of communication but so far that hasn't happened."

The Football Association have said they do not comment on individual selection cases, but also confirmed that Asante featured in a behind-closed-doors friendly for England before last year's World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35547266

31General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:11 pm

This wouldn't be the first time a player has criticised his communication in regards to selection and roles. Whether she is needed or not is debatable but either way and at the very least she deserves somebody contacting/watching her every once in a while. There is a greater need to be doing that with players who aren't in their own domestic league because they need extra reassurance that not being under the manager's nose is not a disadvantage.

32General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:43 pm

The Football Association have said they do not comment on individual selection cases, but also confirmed that Asante featured in a behind-closed-doors friendly for England before last year's World Cup.

Was this when they played the boys team? I thought it odd that she wasn't getting call ups ahead of Stoney or Moore. Shame about the communication break down on Mark's side of the fence, she's a good player with a lot of experience both at club and country level. Politics?

33General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:08 pm

It's two weeks to the day before the first game against the USA in the 4 nations tournament and still no roster and information on when they are headed over to America. It's going to be an interesting tournament hopefully their zip-lining competition at their last England camp a month ago sees them through taking on the top three nations in the world.

34General Squad Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: General Squad Discussion Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:03 pm

One downside to swapping Cyprus for a tournament involving the caliber of teams we will be up against in the US is that we have swapped potential experimentation time for something which is going to require us to be as strong as absolutely possible. I will be very surprised if he selects anything less than that. Which isn't really what this international window has traditionally been about and that's a shame for me.

I would like to think the US tournament will be used to have a look at the current theorised best and see which of the old legs within it aren't going to have enough left in the tank come the Euros next summer. Hopefully the qualifiers for that and any friendlies between now and then will be used to blood in the replacements for those who don't cut it in Florida. I'm particularly concerned about there being nothing in reserve for our expiring midfield.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum