FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

You can't be on each others wavelengths unless you're given sufficient time to develop your partnerships.

And none of this can be fixed during this particular tournament because the schedule is too tough to line up with the same personnel three times in a row. But that is what he absolutely has to start doing now. Enough with this chopping and changing. Even his substitutions are just swap this for that and see what happens.

Why weren't they forming these partnerships on the pitch during the International break in January instead of swinging through trees? They have few precious minutes together as it is, how much team bonding do they have to do? They were out in Canada for 6 weeks this summer bonding as a team, now is the time to push forward. And they can only do that by transition to a substantial attacking game. Whether it is fair or not they will only continue to be in the public's eye if the win and continue winning big games.

It will be very interesting to see Neid's response to Sampson's last two team results against her. Has she sussed him out or will he be able to again at least get a draw? One thing going for Germany is Thursday's games were more energy sapping for England than Germany.

If we do get anything out of this game against Germany tonight it will in a large part be down to the fact we have had two recent dry runs, so third times a charm when it comes to scoring against them. I don't think we've given Neid any reason to be concerned that we might.

Our previous Sampson led Germany line ups:

Wembley: Bardsley, A Scott (Potter 83’), Houghton, Bronze (Bassett 90+1’), Stokes (Greenwood 90+1’), Williams (J Scott 71’), Nobbs, Carney, Duggan, Sanderson (Taylor 80’), Aluko (Kirby 62’)

WC: Bardsley, Houghton, Bassett, Bronze, Greenwood, Chapman (Sanderson 80’), Williams (Stoney 112’), J Scott, Potter, Carney, White (Aluko 61')

Duisburg: Bardsley, Bronze, Flaherty, Houghton, Greenwood, Williams (Christiansen 68’), Scott, Nobbs, Kirby (Clarke 75’), Stokes, Taylor (Duggan 75’)

Intersting.

Potential starting IX for Germany: 4-2-3-1
Bardsley, Bronze, Houghton, Flaherty, Greenwood, Chapman, Williams, J. Scott, Carney, Nobbs, Aluko

Listening to you lot, one would think that it'd been Sampson holding England back. Don't think that's fair. What the team has are many great but not elite players. Look no further than the Women’s World XI for 2015: USA 4, France 3, Germany 2, England 0 Sad

England ‏@england 1m1 minute ago
#Lionesses v Germany: Bardsley, A Scott, Houghton, Flaherty, Greenwood, Williams, Nobbs, J Scott, Chapman, Stokes, Duggan #SheBelieves Cup.

I'm surprised Duggan can even walk. Wonder if Nobbs is carrying a knock?

Meant to say Bronze.

That's the same side bar Chapman in for Taylor and Scott for Bronze. I'm quite surprised so much has stayed the same. Seems odd to save just two for the last game if that is what is being done.

But I don't understand the lone striker choice after all the talk of our lack of goals.

I expect them to sit deep for this one and hit Germany on the counter

Taylor is out with an achilles niggle. Bronze doesn't have any issues, so Scott is tactical or resting Bronze or whatever way he worded it.

In the opening minutes we look pretty much identical to how we were against the US. It's just Jill in place of Taylor up near Duggan with Chapman having gone into the space Jill was in last game. Same pressing. Same roles for Williams and Nobbs. Stokes still advanced.

1-0 Duggan. Free kick header.

Get in. Toni Duggan. It really helped bringing Chapman in. Jill is playing very brightly.

It's better than the last game in certain regards. It still isn't enough going forward though. But I wonder if us taking the lead has changed the instructions to no longer be doing that so much anyway.

Germany look a lot more accomplished at playing in spite of our tactics than the US did so we have to watch that.

Weird few moments of play there, the football gods were correcting things. Germany's offside goal wasn't offside so they get the softest OG in their favour 30 seconds later Laughing

2-1 Germany. Peter penalty. I need another look at that one.

FT Germany 2-1

I like how Germany, after only managing to get into the lead towards the end, were still showing more attacking threat once they were in front than we have in months.

Poor officials, flukey goals, not in season... did Sampson use any other excuses or did I catch them all?

The penalty was very unfortunate (I'll have to watch it a couple more times on slow-mo) but the better side won. Germany were much better than us the second half and Bardsley had some fantastic saves. Are buildup play was a bit better than against the Americans and having Chapman in helped free up Scott and Nobbs the former who was quite creative for us.

not in season
How about he rotate more players or bring in subs earlier? It had nothing to do with pre-season and everything with Germany bringing on 5 subs to our one in the same amount of time. Of course they are going to look fresher especially since the wanker only made to changes from the enery sapping performance they put in on Thursday. Why he played Fara for the whole 90 is beyond me.

^ His substitutions are almost always reactive. And even then half come too late to be properly effective.

I know we're all desperate to see line up stability but this tournament was never going to lend itself to finally doing it. As soon as the fixtures were switched and we got Germany second instead of France we should have 'B Teamed' Germany since this was our fourth match against them in about 18 months and rotated with France in mind, to properly have a go at them this time and undo our white flag exercise from the WC. You can't cite not being in season as a reason for why your team can't carry out your intense gameplan for a full 90 minutes whilst you're deciding to keep using the same players in an intense schedule.

Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 - Page 4 Cc5_pcmW8AENpas

There is a pattern developing to our play and results now. And you can explain away last night’s match on an unfortunate OG and a dodgy penalty if you really want to but what about the rest of our games? It's important to analyse based on the wider picture and not limit ourselves to talking only in 90 minute blocks.

Fact is, we do enough to not get beaten – we don’t do anywhere near enough to win.

Guest wrote:Fact is, we do enough to not get beaten – we don’t do anywhere near enough to win.
That was Powell’s way as well. And as much as I did not particularly enjoy watching us be so defensive there was at least a reason for it, even if it was self-inflicted to a large degree. It was up top where players couldn’t get a chance under her. Sampson may no longer have Smith at his disposal but he has the forwards which Powell didn’t use. We are stocked well enough to be producing better than the amount of shots listed in that table up the page.

I want to see that against France. I don't care if they beat us so long as we've tried to beat them with an attack as apposed to a defence. What does it matter if we still lose anyway trying the latter approach.

I re-wathced and here are my opinions on it. I thought for the first half we pressed very well and deserved the 1-0 going into halftime. We had a couple of nice builld-up plays that unfortunately petered out in Germany’s final third and at times were very predictable but I think that J. Scott gave and extra edge in attack that we were missing against America. I also thought that Chapman and Bardsely had excellent games and both key in stopping Germany from scoring that first half and the beginning of the second. I was disappointed that when we did gain possession of the ball we rarely could keep it for more than a few seconds before giving it back to Germany and except for a couple of isolated individual runs we reverted to long balls to get past the German midfield. I think our midfield did give a good account of themselves defensively throughout the first half and the first ten minutes of the second half.

As the second half wore on we were noticeably tired and I blame Sampson for that. Since he again played a very high intensity pressing game he either needed to rotate the team for this second game or bring on subs starting at the beginning of the second half. I think Neid was expecting us to tire and played her game around that since she waited to bring on several of her better players in the second half. We also fell apart several times in defence (Houghton did have some great last ditch efforts though) and if Sassic was still playing we could have easily lost by 3 or 4 goals.

Referee decisions: Sampson claims that we should have had a free kick for handball by a German player, maybe, but if the ref had called that she would have had to call handball on both Chapman and J. Scott in advantageous fk areas as well. The disallowed German goal was most definitely on side and Sampson is naive if he didn’t think that the cross that was deflect into goal wouldn’t have troubled our defence . Penalty kick - I don’t think that it was penalty kick but in real time I can understand why the ref awarded it. In the first half Williams twice in front of the ref blatantly tripped two German players and they were awarded fk’s for it. Fara did win the ball as seen on slow motion but in real time with the precedent that she had already set I can’t blame the ref for giving it. Regardless it was A. Scott’s poor header clearance that lead to the cluster fuck our penalty box in which lead to Williams making a very strong challenge.

Overall I think that the better team won.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum