FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:17 pm

A Scott for Turner, Carney for Clarke, and Chapman for White are the only important changes from the last squad.

27 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:22 pm

I'm not surprised to see White dropped because as posted already she hasn't been getting minutes under Sampson lately. Carney was always likely to replace one of Clarke or Davison if you go on skill set similarities and Davison wasn't likely to be the one. Putting Scott back in over Turner is a bit of a weird one when you consider Scott looked to have fallen out of favour but I guess he wants experience for this trip.

So he has gone with a 'make a statement' squad then.

This 23 has four changes from the WC squad: Moore, Potter, Sanderson, White - replaced with  Flaherty, Stokes, Christiansen, Davison

Sampson picked way more defenders than I though he would and is going with two right backs and three left backs. I expect a rather defensive showing with the fullbacks working hard to give us width on the counter. I'm glad Christiansen and Davison were picked they will be helpful in attack. I was surprised that he picked A. Scott and Stoney over Turner/Harris or another midfielder and Rose/Bonner. This would have been a good time to give experience to younger players. Saw the USA v Canada game and it was exciting to see such young players given the opportunity to play in important matches, disappointed that Sampson isn't willing to even name them in his squad let alone play them.

Is Moore still injured? I guess Asante is still in the desert, shame.

30 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:43 am

Guest wrote:What if Bassett playing in midfield like she did against BH is now permanent? DM out > Bassett moves up > Flaherty in. That could have already happened. And no forward will have been sacrificed in the process.
I'll be surprised if we get three full games out of Chapman, and he hasn't selected any midfielders who could switch with her without forcing the rejigging of the midfield roles. So it is possible he has Bassett in mind for DM rotation. Her playing there isn't a solution to our imminent problem in that position because she is no younger than any of our other existing options, but she can at least do it in the immediate.

31 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Guest wrote:I was surprised that he picked A. Scott and Stoney over Turner/Harris or another midfielder and Rose/Bonner. This would have been a good time to give experience to younger players. Saw the USA v Canada game and it was exciting to see such young players given the opportunity to play in important matches, disappointed that Sampson isn't willing to even name them in his squad let alone play them.
I'm not surprised his thinking here is go as strong as possible and hope to make it look like we belong in the company of the opposition.

But we have no tournament to prepare for this summer and so there is an argument to be had that our time between now and the Euros should be spent blooding in the replacements for those who are on the wrong side of 30 who might not last long enough for the Euros. I don't see the point in taking them to the US now just to drop them again once we get home because then it's time for the inexperienced to have a go. If Sampson is looking forward then this tournament could have been a great opportunity to see exactly what needs to be done between now and going to the Netherlands next year.

So it is possible he has Bassett in mind for DM rotation.

If this true, than he should have recalled Asante, she's more familiar with that role and Basset could stay back with Houghton since they make such a good pairing. I wouldn't be surprised if the second game Sampson goes with three CBs (Houghton, Basset, and Flattehry) and wing backs, he seems to like that formation even though it really has worked for him in the past.

Her playing there isn't a solution to our imminent problem in that position because she is no younger than any of our other existing options, but she can at least do it in the immediate.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. I was disappointed that the only newish, young midfielder called up was an attacking one. I wonder if they are grooming Moore for the DM spot and Williams going to Arsenal was for her to "train" Williamson for her spot? If so both Moore and Williamson need to be consistently called up and played in these positions during the qualifiers or we could be in real trouble after the Euros in the midfield.

I'm not surprised his thinking here is go as strong as possible and hope to make it look like we belong in the company of the opposition.
I should have said disappointed instead of surprised. In the World Cup Stoney was hardly used at all and A. Scott was used sparingly. I understand Sampson wanting to go over to America with a strong squad to show we "belong" but based on their usage in Canada I wouldn't say either of those players were indispensable. Why not give valuable tournament experience to a youngster or fringe player that could be used more in the Euros. I don't buy they add experience because their are numerous players on the squad who have a lot of experience now. Sampson needs to look more towards the future now that his contract has been extended.

Guest wrote:I should have said disappointed instead of surprised. In the World Cup Stoney was hardly used at all and A. Scott was used sparingly. I understand Sampson wanting to go over to America with a strong squad to show we "belong" but based on their usage in Canada I wouldn't say either of those players were indispensable. Why not give valuable tournament experience to a youngster or fringe player that could be used more in the Euros. I don't buy they add experience because their are numerous players on the squad who have a lot of experience now. Sampson needs to look more towards the future now that his contract has been extended.
This is my view on it also. He is persisting (maybe persisting is too harsh a word?) with players who are not only coming up on retirement soon who may not make it to the Euros but who he has also shown little interest in lately. It's one thing to carry on using somebody whose clock is running out but it's another thing entirely to, after overlooking them recently, bring them back for this cup only to discard them again afterwards. Unless he is planning on getting significant minutes out of them - which would be odd considering he hasn't been interested in doing that - their inclusion and cameos could be better used giving their imminent replacements a taste of things to come.

35 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:04 am

Guest wrote:If this true, than he should have recalled Asante, she's more familiar with that role and Basset could stay back with Houghton since they make such a good pairing ... I was disappointed that the only newish, young midfielder called up was an attacking one. I wonder if they are grooming Moore for the DM spot and Williams going to Arsenal was for her to "train" Williamson for her spot? If so both Moore and Williamson need to be consistently called up and played in these positions during the qualifiers or we could be in real trouble after the Euros in the midfield.
I know it's early days still but Notts appear to be using Bassett in midfield now? Either out of necessity because they have no midfield or because Bradley is finally back and needs to be accommodated. Maybe both. Either way, if they keep her there it wouldn't be that strange for Sampson to also simultaneously shift her position as a result.

But if Moore is fit then it should be Moore as the DM rotation option for the sake of maximising opportunity with the future in mind. And Stoney is the one who should make way for that to happen with Bassett taking Stoney's spot and role.

But if Moore is fit

I read that she is still out injured. What the hell is she suffering from? She hasn't had a game since since last July.

Does anyone know when the squad is meeting up and flying over to America? Sampson claimed one of the reasons they lost the pre World Cup friendly to Canada was jet lag and they were down right terrible in October against China for apparently the same reason. I wonder if Mark is going to forgo pre-meeting at St Jame's Park and flying to America over the weekend and do the pre-meeting over there?

37 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 am

Guest wrote:Does anyone know when the squad is meeting up and flying over to America? Sampson claimed one of the reasons they lost the pre World Cup friendly to Canada was jet lag and they were down right terrible in October against China for apparently the same reason. I wonder if Mark is going to forgo pre-meeting at St Jame's Park and flying to America over the weekend and do the pre-meeting over there?
I haven't seen our travel plans mentioned anywhere. But whatever they are their time frame is far from ideal. The disadvantage is at least somewhat limited by way of France and Germany also having to go stateside as well so it's not like we're the only one for who jetleg will be a factor.

France have it the best out of the European sides as a lot of their players are free right now. The Bundesliga in comparison has a full schedule this weekend so Germany can't travel until Monday at the absolute earliest. We are somewhere in the middle, with some players busy with preaseason matches and some not. Though we do have a few who will first have to get back from South Africa before they go anywhere else.

Both Henry and Renard are out for France, so they are a bit more vulnerable defensively. We actually might have a healthy chance of winning against them since I'd imagine that France would be more concerned about their games against USA and Germany.

39 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 am

One of Greenwood's tweets suggests we're flying to Florida tomorrow morning. But it sounds like Liverpool have had a nightmare getting home from South Africa so I expect her and Chamberlain to be dead on their feet.

We're definitely flying out tomorrow. So assuming we also get there tomorrow it means we play on the 6th day after arriving. Anybody know how that compares to our other recent long trips?

Guest wrote:We're definitely flying out tomorrow. So assuming we also get there tomorrow it means we play on the 6th day after arriving. Anybody know how that compares to our other recent long trips?
We travelled to China on Oct 19th and played games on the 23rd and 27th. So we have a couple of extra days to acclimatise this time around and presumably less travel time as well. I can't remember the dates of us leaving for Canada and playing that friendly against them but I do remember Sampson said jetlag was an issue.

Anybody know how that compares to our other recent long trips?

If iirc England flew out to Ontario on the Sunday and played Canada on the Friday. For the China tournament I believe they flew out three days before they played China but I might have been two.

France and Germany both have league games this weekend, so the earliest that they could head over to America is Sunday night/Monday morning. I don't know the Americans schedule but I'd presume they will meet either Sunday or Monday and a good portion of them live on the West Coast which is roughly the same amount of travel (maybe an hour or two less). Sampson will not be able to use the excuse of jet lag if his team performs poorly on Thursday. He always has the excuse of off season though. I wonder if the coaching badges has a class specifically for manger moans and when to use the best excuse?

44 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:51 am

He has played the out of the season card before and others have played it for him too. So if this doesn't go well there won't be a shortage of excusing it. Problem is, the league might be off right now but preseason is coming to a close and every player has been back at it for months now. It won't be as easy to brush away a poor showing on the basis that we haven't played in a while this time because we very much have. And half the squad have been up against opposition stronger than the average WSL side as well.

The schedule and teams we are playing will require a level of fitness we won't quite have got to yet and so that's a valid point. But it's the only one. We should not be seeing the sloppy play we saw in China.

We should not be seeing the sloppy play we saw in China.
What disappointed the most about the China game was the sloppy play by the established players in that game both goals lay squarely on their shoulders.  If the senior players continue that way during this tournament it will look even worse for England.  Especially with the USA, France and Germany starting to revamp their squads with the next generation while England is desperately holding on to all of their thirty plus year olds.

46 Re: Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Predicted starting IX against USA tomorrow:

4-2-3-1

Bardsley, Bronze, Houghton, Bassett, Greenwood, Chapman, Williams, Nobbs, Carney, Scott, Taylor

Vassos AlexanderVerified account
‏@VassosA
Just been speaking to @Mark_Sampson ahead of #SheBelievesCup.
"We're here to be an absolute nightmare and beat everyone".

Sampson channeling Herdman with his idiotic and obnoxious statements to the press. A manager can be confident without going over the line I thought Ellis was much more gracious when dealing with the press. I hope his players can back up his statements or like Herdman he'll come over as a massive wanker instead of manager from the home of football. Have any of the players made such bold statements to the press?

Nobbs has been talking about how the team are trying to the emulate the USA's mentality; so adopting the whole born winners thing. Which I think is fair enough once you've reached the point where you can compete with the winners and this tournament should give us an indication of whether we can.

But Sampson has never been particularly great with his words. I often get the impression he says to the media exactly what he says in the dressing room, whereas some will take what they say in the dressing room and translate it into diplomatic manager speak for the media.

^ Thanks for those links.

Now for them to do the talking on the pitch, I'm expecting this to be Nobbs' tournament. She clearly has the talent and she's healthy, now is her time to shine against top sides. I'll put Duggan in there as well. Good luck England!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum