FYFAWSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FYFAWSL

You are not connected. Please login or register

Four Nation Tournament in the USA March 2016

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Looks like a brutal schedule. (local times)

March 3, 2016 United States vs. England 7:45 p.m. Raymond James Stadium; Tampa Bay, Fla.

March 6, 2016 France vs. England 3 p.m. Nissan Stadium; Nashville, Tenn.

March 9, 2016 Germany vs. England 5 p.m. FAU Stadium; Boca Raton, Fla.

I'd imagine they'll go to Florida for a week or so before the first match, so hopefully jet lag won't be a factor but that's an incredibly fast turn around time with such steep competition. I hope they at least stream the games here if not put one or two on television.

Long way to go; short stay; lots of travel; tough competition; out of season. Last time we did this kind of thing we didn't exactly put on a good showing. My only hopes are that Sampson doesn't treat the whole thing like one massive defending exercise and that everybody comes back in one piece.

Guest wrote:My only hopes are that Sampson doesn't treat the whole thing like one massive defending exercise
x2. Have a go or stay at home.

My only hopes are that Sampson doesn't treat the whole thing like one massive defending exercise and that everybody comes back in one piece.

I'm really interested how he approaches this. Will he set them up like he did against France in Canada with 10 players behind the ball and the poor striker run around like a headless chicken, play like he did against USA last March where he had them set back but not as deep and try to score on the counter or will he play like he did against Germany last November with a high pressing game? All of these tactics will take a lot out of the girls so he's going to have to have some key rotations and we don't have the quality in depth for that. The three nations tournament in China showed us that. I'm also concerned about Williams, she definitely won't be in form for these games since she's coming back from a long term injury but I don't even think she'll be fit enough for this tournament to play all three games. It'll be interesting to see who he picks to play in her position.

All the players out of season, I think we will definitely see players coming back injured from this tournament. It'll be interesting to see how the WSL managers are going to handle this situation.

Does anybody know if we will be classed as being in season for this officially speaking? The international window is 29th Feb - 9th March with the club release set as the latest Monday morning. Feb 29th is a Monday, so does this mean players have to be released to the NT on the 29th at the latest or the week before on the 22nd? And in either case, if we are classed as out of season is the FA allowed to ignore this entirely and call them whenever?

Guest wrote:... All of these tactics will take a lot out of the girls so he's going to have to have some key rotations and we don't have the quality in depth for that. The three nations tournament in China showed us that.
A lot of it will depend on what the squad size limit is. The US love a big player pool so they might have set it high to get all their options in which would be good for us because although we may not have as much quality in depth in comparison to the other countries we do at least have numbers which we can be rotating.

we do at least have numbers which we can be rotating.
Let me rephrase, it could get damn embarrassing for us when Mark rotates in the second choice players, especially in key areas. We have never played these three nations without putting out our strongest side available. The schedule will not allow that every game so some of these games could be quite painful to watch. The only thing we can hope for is that France and Germany won't particularly care about their game against us and will rest some of their better players.

It's a friendly tournament I would expect a rather large squad to go over to America.

He should be able to get two games out of the A Team. USA on the 3rd and Germany on the 9th for example is plenty of time in between for rest and recovery. It would mean sacrificing the second game against France to some extent though. It's a shame our order isn't USA/Germany/France because at least then we could sacrifice the one against Germany and not worry because it would be the fourth match up in just over a year.

Guest wrote:He should be able to get two games out of the A Team. USA on the 3rd and Germany on the 9th for example is plenty of time in between for rest and recovery. It would mean sacrificing the second game against France to some extent though. It's a shame our order isn't USA/Germany/France because at least then we could sacrifice the one against Germany and not worry because it would be the fourth match up in just over a year.
This is how most usually approach the Algarve/Cyprus cups; go strong for what you think will be the hardest two of your three group games and then use the other game for a bit of rotation and testing. I don't think the level of opposition at this Florida tournament is going to allow it to be tackled in quite the same way though, not unless you really do just want to almost throw one of the matches.

It's a the A Team for two matches and the B Team for one. Or you come up with three line ups which are a mix of A and B and are neither your strongest or weakest.

Guest wrote:I'm really interested how he approaches this. Will he set them up like he did against France in Canada with 10 players behind the ball and the poor striker run around like a headless chicken, play like he did against USA last March where he had them set back but not as deep and try to score on the counter or will he play like he did against Germany last November with a high pressing game?
He will likely change his emphasis and tailor us for each game. 

Three matches, three thirds on a pitch, and the opposition involved - it does fall quite nicely for us test our defence against the US attack, test our midfield against the French midfield, and test our attack against the German defence. That might be one way of going about it.

Guest wrote:He will likely change his emphasis and tailor us for each game. 

Three matches, three thirds on a pitch, and the opposition involved - it does fall quite nicely for us test our defence against the US attack, test our midfield against the French midfield, and test our attack against the German defence. That might be one way of going about it.
A lot of this has been tested already in the friendly games we have played recently against the USA and Germany, though not very successfully mind since we didn't actually win any of them. So I don't think it would be a waste of an opportunity if we approached those two games in the same way again. 

It would however mean that the game against France becomes the one with the most potential to learn from since we practically waved the white flag at the kick off whistle last time we faced them. And that's where them being our second game is unfortunate again because anything less than a full strength XI in game #2 - the one you probably would rotate for - might well be a waste.

If Mark is going to be tactical about this he'll maximize our strengths and the opponents weakness. France has always bossed our midfield and I don't see that changing. I think he should test our midfield against the changing USA lineup, we could have the advantage there and potentially control the game a bit. The USA attack, besides the inconsistent Lloyd has been less than stellar of late so it would be better to try our defense against the German's attack. Germany will be the last game and we just had a game with them so we can afford to test out different defensive formations against them. Beside a pk in extra time we haven't been successful at scoring against German of late, so I think that we should test our attack against the French defence. We never try to take the game to France's final third, mainly because of our midfield but if we set up to frustrate France with a high pressing game instead of sitting off like we usually do we might see more of the game played in their final third.

I too think that the France game is the most important game.

Guest wrote:Does anybody know if we will be classed as being in season for this officially speaking? The international window is 29th Feb - 9th March with the club release set as the latest Monday morning. Feb 29th is a Monday, so does this mean players have to be released to the NT on the 29th at the latest or the week before on the 22nd? And in either case, if we are classed as out of season is the FA allowed to ignore this entirely and call them whenever?
No idea what the answers to your questions are, but City's preseason friendly against Pitea is on Feb 25th, which either means they are playing it without half their squad of that even if the NT does meet up prior to the 29th it won't be early by much. If the latter happens we will barely have a week in Florida before our first game.

All games will be shown on BBC live. Sampson will announce his 23-player squad on Monday.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35608759

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport  6h6 hours ago
We are delighted to announce that England Women’s matches at the #SheBelievesCup will be shown live on the BBC.

I'm very interested how Mark takes the pressure of this tournament and his tactics for them with all the games being shown live on the BBC.  He's been praised and acknowledged for his handling of both so now either they'll be justified or he will fall flat and be criticised for it.  There is no easy game and besides a penalty in extra time, we have not scored against these nations for quite some time. Is he going to play it safe and go negative and be boring (he was hammered when he did that against France) or is he going positive with the chance of being punished by three better teams?  I can't decide if draws will be enough or the general public expects him to at least win won and be competitive in the other two.  I for one am really excited for this tournament, it's a huge litmus test for England.  

He needs to release his squad already.

The 23-player squad I think Sampson will choose (not who i would choose)

Goalkeepers
Bardsley, Chamberlain, Telford

Defenders
Bronze, A. Scott, Bassett, Flaherty, Houghton, Rafferty, Stokes

Midfielders
Christiansen, Moore, J. Scott, Chapman, Williams, Nobbs

Forwards
Aluko, Carter, Carney, Duggan, Kirby, White, Taylor

^ I expect it to be very close if not that exact squad.

He hasn't been using Potter and Chapman lately; he has been going for the more attacking type in Christiansen and an additional forward. Even when we played that friendly in Germany he chose to be without the defensive element of the midfield. So I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses to not put it back in for this tournament because I think keeping a clean sheet in that Germany friendly will have to some degree told him he doesn't need to. I think he will want to keep Christiansen around. He also needs to add the likes of Carney now she is fit again.

So will expect another imbalance towards to the attack because that is what his recent selections have been and I see nothing to suggest he will change it. You can't even use the 'but the level of opposition requires it' reasoning for why he might because he didn't think it was required in Germany. I hope he corrects the imbalance though.

The only way we are getting some DM types back in this squad is if he halves his number of forwards. And I don't get the impression that he has figured out which would be the half to cut and which would be the half to keep. His constant chopping and changing of line ups and the additional forwards each time did not look like evidence of him sorting it out. It looked like evidence of him making it worse. So if he has culled the forwards in order to take some DM types with him to the US I haven't a clue which games have helped him decide who goes.

We've scored three goals in our last four games (B&H, Germany, Australia, China) and two came from midfield. Aluko got the other. Clarke, Davison, Aluko, Duggan, Kirby, Taylor and Sanderson have all been on the pitch at some point. White is the only one who has been called up but not used from what I can tell. Mead is another but I think she is injured?

What if Bassett playing in midfield like she did against BH is now permanent? DM out > Bassett moves up > Flaherty in. That could have already happened. And no forward will have been sacrificed in the process.

He hasn't been using Potter and Chapman lately; he has been going for the more attacking type in Christiansen and an additional forward. Even when we played that friendly in Germany he chose to be without the defensive element of the midfield. So I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses to not put it back in for this tournament because I think keeping a clean sheet in that Germany friendly will have to some degree told him he doesn't need to.

He got away with a lack of defensive element in the midfield in the Germany game because of the high pressure game he played front to back (and we still were unable to score a goal even with that added attacking element). There is no way that the girls will be able to sustain that level if intensity in three games with only days in between for recovery. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't select Chapman. I expect him to set up the teams similar to the way he played Norway, Japan, and Germany in the world cup.

He also needs to add the likes of Carney now she is fit again.
I think Carney is going to be his key player in attack for most of these games.

Guest wrote:I think Carney is going to be his key player in attack for most of these games.
If she is it will be interesting to see if he uses her in a more forward-like role or a more midfielder-like role. Either way, I think he would have to sacrifice a forward for her not a midfielder. I'm just not sure which one.

Do we have any injuries at the minute to make his decisions for him?

Guest wrote:Do we have any injuries at the minute to make his decisions for him?
I only know of Mead whose knee has been in a brace. I don't think she would have been selected anyway. He hasn't used her so far.

Carney has been playing Chelsea's preseason games so presumably she is fine for selection. I don't know about the fitness of Moore, or Taylor's knee. Nobody else springs to mind.

Guest wrote:He got away with a lack of defensive element in the midfield in the Germany game because of the high pressure game he played front to back (and we still were unable to score a goal even with that added attacking element). There is no way that the girls will be able to sustain that level if intensity in three games with only days in between for recovery. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't select Chapman. I expect him to set up the teams similar to the way he played Norway, Japan, and Germany in the world cup.
Maybe he will put the defensive element back in but just not the one we've been using up to now. If he wanted to he could go about this tournament as a chance to throw the untested in at the deep end and show them what will be required of them come the Euros when chances are they'll be taking over. They aren't must win games in the grand scheme of things and he can do his experimentation if he decides to view it like that. Or instead he be of the opinion that it's important to be seen holding our own and he will select the experience.

Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Manchester City), Siobhan Chamberlain (Liverpool), Carly Telford (Notts County).

Defenders: Laura Bassett (Notts County), Lucy Bronze (Manchester City), Gilly Flaherty (Chelsea), Alex Greenwood (Liverpool), Steph Houghton (Manchester City), Claire Rafferty (Chelsea), Alex Scott (Arsenal), Demi Stokes (Manchester City), Casey Stoney (Arsenal).

Midfielders: Katie Chapman (Chelsea), Isobel Christiansen (Manchester City), Jordan Nobbs (Arsenal), Jill Scott (Manchester City), Fara Williams (Arsenal).

Forwards: Eniola Aluko (Chelsea), Karen Carney (Chelsea), Gemma Davison (Chelsea), Toni Duggan (Manchester City), Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Jodie Taylor (Portland Thorns)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum